Fellow Ode Grinder Noise

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
luiznoe

#1: Post by luiznoe »

Hey guys, first post here. I just received my Fellow Ode Grinder, 120v. It's the first time I use the grinder and it is making this weird noise as showed in the video. I bought it on a trip to the USA, I would like instructions on what to do about it, as it doesn't seem to be the normal noise.

Has anyone seen something similar or know how to fix it? I wouldn't want to have to return it because I bought it on a trip to the USA and now I'm in Brazil.

ggcadc

#2: Post by ggcadc »

Does it have ssp burrs?

Mine which I've had over a year started making exactly that noise when I swapped SSP burrs into it. Hasn't seemed to cause any other problems I've noticed, but it's no longer the quiet grinder it was.

Advertisement
luiznoe (original poster)

#3: Post by luiznoe (original poster) »

Yep, It has SSP burrs from factory.

Coffiend

#4: Post by Coffiend »

I believe that's just the noise of trapped coffee grinds between the burrs, and it's totally normal. Mine makes the same noise.

Jonk

#5: Post by Jonk »

Or the burrs are not perfectly centered on the rotating burr carrier, making it wobble. You can also try adding a little lube to the shaft and shear plate.

nicholasnumbers

#6: Post by nicholasnumbers »

luiznoe wrote:Hey guys, first post here. I just received my Fellow Ode Grinder, 120v. It's the first time I use the grinder and it is making this weird noise as showed in the video. I bought it on a trip to the USA, I would like instructions on what to do about it, as it doesn't seem to be the normal noise.

Has anyone seen something similar or know how to fix it? I wouldn't want to have to return it because I bought it on a trip to the USA and now I'm in Brazil.

video
This is just the noise of the SSP burrs. Totally normal. They have a higher pitched whine than the stock burrs. It all has to do with the cutting geometry and the coating.

Nick