Mazzer Major rubbing/burr noise?

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
grufromtheloo

#1: Post by grufromtheloo »

Hey all. I have a new to me mazzer major and I sporadically get what sounds like burr noise at normal espresso settings. I have the ring zeroed so I typically get real burr chatter around 0 or a tick past 0. I have been grinding around 1.5-2 on the dial. Every now and then I get what sounds like burr chatter, but I can't understand why it would come and go. It tends to happen more often at the end of a grind, after blowing, as the burrs are spinning down. I have a video of the noise at this link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/fxi5ssbmWKHdLRHw6

I updated to SSP HU's in the red speed and have them somewhat aligned, not perfect but far better than factory. Anyone know what this noise is or/how why is happening?

Marcelnl

#2: Post by Marcelnl »

sounds fairly normal to me, having the same grinder and burrs.
LMWDP #483

grufromtheloo (original poster)

#3: Post by grufromtheloo (original poster) »

Interesting, any idea what causes it or why it comes and goes?

oliccino

#4: Post by oliccino »

Mine has that noise but x1000. I will post a video in the next days. Always have been curious what it is

espressotime

#5: Post by espressotime »

That's the sound of touching burrs.

nisb

#6: Post by nisb »

My major with OEM burrs does not do that.

Does it get worse when turning slightly towards the zero point? If it does, then it is likely burrs rub and if not, it could maybe be bearings or sweeping arms catching something.

If burrs rub, I'd take them out, thoroughly clean everything and put them in again. It could perhaps be that one or more screws have been loosened by vibrations and grounds have worked their way under the burrs, pushing them up.

grufromtheloo (original poster)

#7: Post by grufromtheloo (original poster) »

Does it get worse when turning slightly towards the zero point?
I have only been able to get it to happen at espresso settings. If I clean the grind chamber without removing the burrs, it tends to stop and can't be reproduced anymore. I have tried trying to reproduce the sounds at coarser settings but no luck yet. Either it's the finer setting or the coarser setting and constant spinning is cleaning out the chamber.
It could perhaps be that one or more screws have been loosened by vibrations and grounds have worked their way under the burrs
I have checked the screws and they all feel tight. If there are some compacted grounds under there, perhaps they will give this illusion? It's interesting you mention this because it does go away after a cleaning, or after the burrs have been spun a few times post-grinder, so I do feel like residual grinds play in somewhat..