Is this La Pavoni Europiccola really SOLID brass?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Skylar

#1: Post by Skylar »

Hi y'all! I know this topic has been done to death, but I have a question I don't think I've seen specifically asked yet. I'm looking at a europiccola in pretty good condition, and it has a (supposedly) solid copper boiler and the usual brass flange on the group and bottom of boiler.

This would make me think it's got the solid brass group and base I'm looking for, however, if you take a closer look at the flange on boiler section it looks plated?
This is making me question what this is really made of. Also, the bottom of the group looks to be missing the brass coloring(to my very inexperienced eye at least).
The owner claims none of it is magnetic but I'm not sure how much to trust that. If anyone is able to confirm whether or not this is actually a solid copper/brass model I would greatly appreciate it!

Kaffee Bitte

#2: Post by Kaffee Bitte »

The copper and brass is a layer applied to the outside of the base metal. This looks like a machine that someone sent to coffee sensor for custom plating. The metal beneath will be the same as any other la pavoni. It's probably the same process La Pavoni uses to do the initial plating in factory.
I wouldn't think it would add much value despite being a rather pricey upgrade but I may be wrong.

I do like the look though. Is it in good working order? Other mods done to it?

The plating won't effect the basic coffee making experience, just your eyes really.
Lynn G.
LMWDP # 110

LObin

#3: Post by LObin »

Skylar wrote:Hi y'all! I know this topic has been done to death, but I have a question I don't think I've seen specifically asked yet. I'm looking at a europiccola in pretty good condition, and it has a (supposedly) solid copper boiler and the usual brass flange on the group and bottom of boiler.image

This would make me think it's got the solid brass group and base I'm looking for, however, if you take a closer look at the flange on boiler section it looks plated? image
This is making me question what this is really made of. Also, the bottom of the group looks to be missing the brass coloring(to my very inexperienced eye at least).image
The owner claims none of it is magnetic but I'm not sure how much to trust that. If anyone is able to confirm whether or not this is actually a solid copper/brass model I would greatly appreciate it!

This gold 2nd gen Europiccola is original. Not refinished.

I'm not sure what your looking for though as pretty much all the Europiccola and Professional have brass groups and flanges while the boilers are mostly copper. What you see is the chrome underneath the gold plating of the flange that is coming off. The flange and other fittings and welded bits are brass. I don't believe there ever was a true brass base. Cast aluminum at first and then steel.

There are a few differences between the gold LP's produced throughout the years. Mostly in the type of plating and number of layers applied.

I own one of the mid 80's Professional (V2.3) with copper and brass plating over chrome plating. These need regular maintenance in order to stay in good condition.

Mine was in rough shape so I took it to a sandblasting booth and to my surprise, I realized that I had one of the very rare, real brass boiler Professional. The base is gold plated steel.

Brass boilers are a bit challenging since the inside is not plated and lead will eventually leach in the water. I had to do the RPavlis lead treatment to mine and only use his water recipe.

The one you posted looks to be in very good condition for a 25+ years old machine. It's likely has a cooper boiler and steel base. The gold plating process seems to of good quality. Better than what was done to mine. Buff it with Flitz polish and it'll look as good as it did on it's wedding day.

If you're looking for a gold Europiccola and don't mind dealing with the gen 2's temperature profile, it's a great machine imo.

Cheers!
LMWDP #592

RobAnybody

#4: Post by RobAnybody »

Skylar wrote:. If anyone is able to confirm whether or not this is actually a solid copper/brass model I would greatly appreciate it!
I have a professional model with the same build it is solid copper/brass.

The 'gold' is a coating overlayed with a hard laquer clearcoat. the latter is can sometimes chip or break.

here is a closeup of the grouphead just behind the arm on my machine. you can see the the naked brass exposed on the worn part.
Also on the true copper/brass versions the boiler is reenforced with brass at the base and neck of the boiler. this is not the case with the coated versions.
cheers,
Rob
LMWDP #647

LObin

#5: Post by LObin replying to RobAnybody »

Hey Rob,

From the pictures of both machines, the color of the brass seems different. The brass on yours is more gold vs the yellow gold brass on the machine that the OP posted.

The millennium gold LP's also have that yellow gold brass plating.

So is your base steel and then plated or it's solid brass?

Also, can you post pictures of the reinforced parts?

Thanks!
LMWDP #592

TigerStripes

#6: Post by TigerStripes »

Kaffee Bitte wrote:The copper and brass is a layer applied to the outside of the base metal. This looks like a machine that someone sent to coffee sensor for custom plating. The metal beneath will be the same as any other la pavoni. It's probably the same process La Pavoni uses to do the initial plating in factory.
I wouldn't think it would add much value despite being a rather pricey upgrade but I may be wrong.

I do like the look though. Is it in good working order? Other mods done to it?

The plating won't effect the basic coffee making experience, just your eyes really.
This is incorrect. I own a very similar brass / copper professional and I can confirm the base is 100% solid brass - not magnetic, not susceptible to rust. There were years where there was a brass colored coating put over a steel base, but this is not one of them.
LMWDP #715

TigerStripes

#7: Post by TigerStripes »

Also - the boiler copper is real. It's not a pretend coating. The fittings are all brazed on brass, hence why the group connection appears to be brass (it is).
LMWDP #715

RobAnybody

#8: Post by RobAnybody »

LObin wrote:From the pictures of both machines, the color of the brass seems different.
That could be the lighting, or a difference in the coat on top of the brass (also I haven't polished mine in a while now)
LObin wrote:So is your base steel and then plated or it's solid brass?
The base on mine is also solid brass

Here is a close-up of the boiler-cap and boiler to base fitting (had some lighting issues so the colour difference between brass and copper is not optimal. but you can see the brazing lines.)

Cheers,
Rob
LMWDP #647

LObin

#9: Post by LObin »

Call me old fashion but I tend to get annoyed when someone registers on HB, asks for help, gets very detailed answers from members that go out of their ways to provide them with feedbacks and pictures, and then... Boom. Radio silent. Nothing. MIA

Did I loose my time :?:
Am I doing it again :shock:

:lol:
LMWDP #592