How do you account for windage while roasting beans?

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
EbenBruyns

#1: Post by EbenBruyns »

This post is only slightly tongue in cheek. As some of you might be aware we live on a sail boat. We spent a few days on a tidal grid (basically drying the boat out on the tide so we can paint it). The result is that we do not swing with the wind. I was roasting a batch of beans in my hive roaster and the companion way (if you don't know that's the area, hatch, door where you get into the boat) was open the wind hooked around and blew straight down with a chill. I watched my delta drop like a rock! Not only did my roast stall but my beans started to cool. I'm pretty sure that having to contend with windage is not a normal situation for most roasters.

Suffice to say that the batch was utterly sub par in the cup.

Marcelnl

#2: Post by Marcelnl »

ha, initially I thought you were asking about the impact of passing gas ;-)

I hear you, windy conditions do affect my roast, where I live a windy environment is a given, I try to compensate for it by closing the door of the shed I'm using a bit further....
LMWDP #483

EbenBruyns (original poster)

#3: Post by EbenBruyns (original poster) »

Firstly, passing gas in a confined space (open or not) has some serious repercussions, while roasting there's an open flame to be concerned with too.

Also the space is so small so any amount of smoke is amplified (the hive does a decent job, but it's not perfect), so it's important to have some ventilation. I do close most of the hatches while swinging on the mooring or anchor.