La Marzocco Linea Mini- Temperature dial attached correctly? App says no. What is normal?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
AZWolf

#1: Post by AZWolf »

I just got a new Linea Mini but my temperature wheel is off by several degrees at normal brew temps and gets drastically farther off at higher ones. I understand this is the nature of a potentiometer but I'm trying to determine if my center/target point is too far off from where La Marzocco says it should be. I am comparing the wheel setting (6 o'clock position) to the app. According to La Marzocco, I can trust the app for temperature accuracy (versus the wheel.)

Where does your Linea Mini line up? My figures are below and they are consistent having checked multiple times.

I am trying to determine if my wheel/label was attached in proper position and what real world "normal" is for the Linea Mini.

In theory there should be a point on the wheel where the temp agrees with the app. Logically that point should be a common brewing temperature. La Marzocco says the center point should be 203° F.

Disappointingly my wheel is accurate at the 195.8° F setting, a temperature which I will rarely use. So at more common temps (for me) it's off a fair amount. I know I can use my test numbers and set my wheel that way but it would be much more convenient to know I have an accurate starting point in the La Marzocco target range, and also where I am likely to pull shots.

I know, in the end, it's about taste, and the wheel being consistent and repeatable is paramount but...

I'm asking this because:

1. I don't want to be dependent on an app or my phone when using my LM. A big attraction of this machine for me is that it's analog and tactile.

2. I have been emailing with La Marzocco about this and get somewhat conflicting information. On one hand they stated "We put the stickers on the wheel during bench test after checking the group temp with a Scace. We try to be as accurate as possible...if the difference is large the wheel can be removed and replaced closer." But when I asked to have the wheel corrected/fixed I was essentially told no because what I'm seeing is normal.

It doesn't make much sense to me that La Marzocco goes to the trouble of using a Scace to calibrate placement of the temperature label and then says nothing is wrong with more than 3 degrees off at their target of 203°

So I'm reaching out to fellow Linea Mini owners to see if there is any consistency.

If possible, please let me know your experience. I am very curious to find out what "normal" is for the Linea Mini... if that exists?

My temperature data:
Dial at 195.8/App shows 195.8 This is where mine is accurate but as stated, I pretty much never pull a shot at this temp.
Dial at 199.4/App shows 201.2
Dial at 201.2/App shows 203
Dial at 203/App shows 206.6
Dial at 206.6/App shows 212
Dial at 210/App shows 219.2

Thank you in advance!

Advertisement
yertchuk
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by yertchuk »

If you set the app to 212, do you get flash boiling when you activate the paddle switch? That would confirm that the app is reading more or less correctly at that temperature.

I understand the desire to keep smartphones out of the process, but I gave up on that pretty quickly. Now I have the pot set to minimum, and only use the app.

IMO, there's nothing wrong with the idea of using an analog pot to set the temperature control PID. But the current implementation sucks; cheap 50 cent pot, mounted in an inconvenient place on the machine, with difficult to read markings.

AZWolf (original poster)

#3: Post by AZWolf (original poster) »

Thanks for your reply
yertchuk wrote:If you set the app to 212, do you get flash boiling when you activate the paddle switch? That would confirm that the app is reading more or less correctly at that temperature.
I guess I'm trusting La Marzocco that the app is fairly accurate.
I understand the desire to keep smartphones out of the process, but I gave up on that pretty quickly. Now I have the pot set to minimum, and only use the app.

IMO, there's nothing wrong with the idea of using an analog pot to set the temperature control PID. But the current implementation sucks; cheap 50 cent pot, mounted in an inconvenient place on the machine, with difficult to read markings.
Yes they could certainly do better with the quality/feel of that wheel. I don't know how well the actual pot is made or needs to be. If it is consistent and repeatable (and durable over time and use) that is paramount. But as I mention, I want to have a starting point in a reasonable range. Mainly trying to figure out if they got my label and wheel on correctly.

I may give in at some point and use the app more, but it goes against the grain for me as I love the old school beauty and feel of the rest of the machine.

jeffb

#4: Post by jeffb »

I have had a Linea Mini, since they started manufacturing. Wanted to make sure that the "wheel" was correct and borrowed a Scace. Temperatures were exact. I upgraded with a new board and app and use the app.

I would post and ask to rent a Scace?

Good Luck in your endeavors.

Jeff

AZWolf (original poster)

#5: Post by AZWolf (original poster) »

jeffb wrote:I have had a Linea Mini, since they started manufacturing. Wanted to make sure that the "wheel" was correct and borrowed a Scace. Temperatures were exact. I upgraded with a new board and app and use the app.

I would post and ask to rent a Scace?

Jeff
Jeff,
Thanks!

This is interesting and perhaps I will look to rent or borrow a Scace.

I have to wonder if La Marzocco has changed the wheel scale and/or pot over time. If your wheel temps were exact that would indicate they used to use a scale that matched the pot...but they clearly no longer have that matched combination.

All best,
Joel