Bialetti Venus- grounds in the coffee

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Venus

#1: Post by Venus »

Hello
I have used a Bialetti Venus stove top coffee maker for years.
Recently I have had a lot of coffee grounds floating in the cup and I'm trying to work out if the problem is caused by the filter needing to be replaced, or if I've been grinding the coffee too coarsely or not coarsely enough. (although I don't think I've changed how I grind it recently).

I was going to order a new filter but the reviews seem to say the pot doesn't work so well after replacement and so I am not sure whether to take the old one out if it's going to do that.

Any ideas appreciated!

jannus

#2: Post by jannus »

I've got the same mocha pot in a six cup, as well as a smaller one. I've replaced a filter once, but that was just as it came with the pack of seals. Unless you really forcefully damaged it I have a tough time imagining filter replacement will make a difference to the amount of fines in your cup. I'm not an expert, but I'd first look at the choice of beans and the way it's roasted. Beans grind differently, and some may be more prone to fines than others. Also, if you're grinding too fine it may have an effect, or if something is wrong with your grinder somehow.
I am assuming you're weighing off the same amount of beans, you use the same amount of water every time, and you use a consistent burr grinder?
I love my mocha pot...I really hope yours can come back to giving you the same pleasure it did! :)

Venus (original poster)

#3: Post by Venus (original poster) »

Thank you! I will try some other things before replacing the filter as it looks ok to me and I feel I might cause other problems if I put a new one in.
Have dug out another Mocha pot I haven't used much so I'm going to try that tomorrow and if the same thing happens it must be to do with the beans or the grind.

DamianWarS

#4: Post by DamianWarS »

Venus wrote:Hello
I have used a Bialetti Venus stove top coffee maker for years.
Recently I have had a lot of coffee grounds floating in the cup and I'm trying to work out if the problem is caused by the filter needing to be replaced, or if I've been grinding the coffee too coarsely or not coarsely enough. (although I don't think I've changed how I grind it recently).

I was going to order a new filter but the reviews seem to say the pot doesn't work so well after replacement and so I am not sure whether to take the old one out if it's going to do that.

Any ideas appreciated!
If it were me I would probably just get a new filter with a new gasket and I probably would get a silicon gasket too (but at your own risk of course). Aeropress filters fit nicely over the metal filter (as shown here), you have to get it wet for it to stick but may be a workaround if you're not interested in changing the filter or if you changed the filter and still get the same problem (if it's a coffee/grind issue). with or without this problem using a paper filter should still give you a cleaner cup. with a paper filter if you still get the sediment then possibly your gasket is the problem in which case it would need to be replaced.

Venus (original poster)

#5: Post by Venus (original poster) »

thanks for the suggestion, I have got a new filter but have now worked out the main problem - the base of the pot has limescale build up in it which is causing sediment to rise up into the coffee :x
I'm trying vinegar, lemon juice and baking soda but not sure if it might be too far gone as after a few goes the water is still coming out brown. Any tips on this let me know!