Isomac Millennium advice appreciated

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Ettebo

#1: Post by Ettebo »

I'm new to the forum and found it as I was looking for information on a machine I picked up a couple of days ago.

I found this Isomac Millennium and mac. professionale grinder in a second-hand shop for a grand total of £35.

I took some things apart and cleaned everything I could and looked for corrosion or deposits on fittings and pipes. It looks like it's in pretty good condition on the inside.

Most things seem to be working just fine. It pumps, all the lights turn on and off as expected, the water gets to temperature and it dispenses steam and water as it should (I believe, I'm very new to all this).

What I have found, however, is the following issues:

Boiler pressure gauge is not moving.
The bottom exhaust part of the e61 group head does not seem to work as no water comes through it even during back wash (flush?).

From what I've gathered, the unit is from 2004 or thereabouts. I have no idea if it has been serviced as it should or anything like that. So now I'm keen to make sure it works as well as it can without spending too much getting there.

My questions are:

Is there a way to get the pressure gauge working and if so, how?
Should I rebuild the group head with one of those kits of gaskets and such? Is there anything I should keep in mind looking for a kit?
What is the best process for making sure the unit is descaled and no muck is stuck in the internals?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated

JRising
Team HB

#2: Post by JRising »

Remove the gauge's pipe from the boiler end and see if that's what's clogged. Poke it clean with a pin if that's all it is. If you can't see the clog, try making it move with a compressor if you have one. Replace it if it's un-fixable.

Remove all three valves in the grouphead, inspect them, clean them, replace them if they're muffin-topping (if the rubber isn't remaining in it spot in the valver). Without seeing it, I expect a muffintopping drain valve is to blame if you get nothing through the drain when backflushing.

When inspecting the valves, look at how much calcium is on the mushroom to determine the calcium level of the brew circuit. Then remove and inspect the boiler fill probe to determine the calcium content of the boiler.

Ettebo (original poster)

#3: Post by Ettebo (original poster) »

Thank you for your input!

I took the group head apart, cleaned it up, descaled the parts and put it back together. At least the group head is working well now. However, some of the gaskets were a little bit dry, so I should look for a service kit.

Any help guiding me to a service kit with gaskets would be appreciated.