How to bring out chocolate and nutty flavors

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
ShotClock
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by ShotClock »

Looking through my stores of greens, i see a few coffees with this type of flavor profile. Chocolate, nuts, cocoa, caramel, cookies etc. What approach to roasting would you recommend for these? I'd assume a little darker than a fruity coffee, but beyond that, i don't have much idea.

Marcelnl

#2: Post by Marcelnl »

I typically pick those types of coffees, and my usual profile that works for me is heat loaded up front, (I charge at 275'C but that is with a peforated drum) steady decrease of 0.5KPa after 3m20 dropping 0.5KPa eevry 30 seconds until 1 KPa, dry end at approx 4min, FC at approx 7 min and finish temp of 207-208'C which usually correlates to 1:45 after FC.
LMWDP #483

Advertisement
ShotClock (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by ShotClock (original poster) »

Thanks Marcel, just the kind of information I'm looking for. I'd you don't mind, what is your normal temperature at FC, and what is your rate of rise going in to FC?

Thanks

Marcelnl

#4: Post by Marcelnl »

My temp going into FC is 197'C for almost all beans, the odd one that does not obey that rule usually also behaves badly with flicks and crashes....

RoR going into FC ...not sure, I recall seeing 9 bt I must confess I do not really track that actively..can you deduct that from a roast retrospectively?

Todays Panama

LMWDP #483

ShotClock (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by ShotClock (original poster) »

Thanks, that's perfect. The imperial translation of your roast is 12C after FC is 21.5F, RoR at FC of 9C/min corresponds to 8.1F/30s.

The curve looks very nice, I'll try to emulate something like this. Looking to roast a nice nutty natural to go in milk drinks and some straight shots.