Grinding RPM Experiment with Titus Nautilus

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
JonathanMichael
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by JonathanMichael »

Hi,

I thought I would share a little experiment I did on grinding RPM. The Titus Nautilus grinder an external power source allowing for changes to be made to grinding RPM. The operating range runs from around 320 RPM to 1030 RPM.

Experiment

Equipment:

-Titus Nautilus with cast filter burrs
-Ratio 6 brewer with cone brewer
-Abaca paper filters
-Atago refractometer

Process:
Brew 20 grams of a light roast Kenyan coffee with 300 grams of water with the only variable changed being grind RPM. I ground my first batch at around 430 RPM and my second batch around 1030 RPM. I then measured the resulting tds/extraction yields.

The slow RPM resulted in 22.9% extraction and the fast at 24.66%. I was surprised at the result so I checked twice to confirm. In terms of taste I can't say there was a clear winner but I believe I preferred the slower RPM. I wonder if this is simply a result of less extraction being preferable or something with the grind speed directly?

If anyone else has the cast burrs in the Nautilus I'd be curious to hear what you prefer. Also, what grind size do you typically prefer for most pour overs? Obviously, there is variation due to coffee, agitation, etc.

Jonathan

OrvilleRooster

#2: Post by OrvilleRooster »

Isn't the higher extraction just a result of more fines from a higher rpm? More fines = finer grinds = easier to extract as well as the fines that themselves add to the TDS-count.

zefkir

#3: Post by zefkir »

You should consider grinding coarser with the fast rpm grind until you match draw-down time.

It is established that faster rpm decreases the size of the main mode. What is less clear is when you equalize for the same main mode, if there are more fines then.

JonathanMichael (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by JonathanMichael (original poster) »

Yes quite possibly, however I did a Kruve sift test and it didn't seem like there was a noticeable amount more fines in the faster grind speed...

Supporter ♡

#5: Post by JonathanMichael (original poster) »

Good idea. I can try grinding coarser at the fast speed to see if it levels out.

deklol

#6: Post by deklol replying to JonathanMichael »

Did you ever try this? I'm curious about the results :)

Supporter ♡

#7: Post by JonathanMichael (original poster) »

Nope not yet :(