Fiorenzato Doge Conico - snapped lower burr bolt

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
justinlongbranch1

#1: Post by justinlongbranch1 »

I have recently been refurbishing a Doge grinder, I have slowly been taking it apart to find yet more and more coffee oil buildup. When I got to the inside of the burrs on the bottom I found a screw that i thought would allow me to remove the bottom part of the burrs from the machine so I got out my ratchet and lefty loose-y I turned it to the left and the darn thing wouldn't budge, so I just kept adding leverage until snap the top of the bolt snapped right off. In dismay I wondered how I would ever remove the rest of the bolt. I figured I could take it into a small engine repair shop and that they would be able to help me, however as it was the weekend I decided I could keep cleaning the parts I could reach. So I started cleaning it and wouldn't ya know it, the bolt moved quite easily - the opposite way - turns out it was reverse threaded. Something about the way electric motors spin if it was threaded the other way then it would loosen as it spins the burrs I guess.

Anyways hopefully all these words will lead folks who know about these sorts of things to this humble post where I ask, how can I go about replacing this single specifically sized screw? I have included a picture of where the bolt goes, one of the broken bolt, and one of the logo, because isnt it a nice grinder?

TLDR: how do I replace this specifically sized bolt?

drgary
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary »

Please note the direction of the threads. In my Doge I was surprised to learn that the bolt turned out clockwise. So, if I'm right about your bolt, and it seems so from your photo, you would need to measure the thread pitch and size and get one threaded in reverse.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

ira
Team HB

#3: Post by ira »

justinlongbranch1 (original poster)

#4: Post by justinlongbranch1 (original poster) »

As far as I can tell it's a left-handed m8x1.25x18m (m8 refers to the diameter of the bolt as measured at the the widest part of the threads in mm) (1.25 refers to the pitch of the threads and is measured as the distance between two threads and is also measured in millimeters) (18m is the length of the bolt from the base of the head to the end of the bolt). I got this just from eyeballing the measurements and all I had was an imperial tape measure. I don't have calipers but that might be my next step to get the most accurate measurements of my bolt. I ordered from a website very much like the one that was referred to in another reply. If it doesn't work I will try the calipers and order again. It was about 30 dollars for the bolt including delivery.

#5: Post by justinlongbranch1 (original poster) »

I actually learned this the hard way, I assumed incorrectly that the bolt was just stuck from built up coffee oils. In fact I broke the bolt by turning it counter clockwise with increasing amounts of leverage

drgary
Team HB

#6: Post by drgary »

I figured. I came close to doing the same thing!
Gary
LMWDP#308

pizzaman383
Supporter ❤

#7: Post by pizzaman383 »

cafeparts.com stocks parts for the Fiorenzato Doge grinders.
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”

#8: Post by justinlongbranch1 (original poster) »

They didn't have the bolt listed as a separate part. Luckily I found one through left hand bolt sales.

Now I'm looking for the specs for a start capacitor for the same grinder. Cafe parts lists the running capacitor but not the start capacitor.

drgary
Team HB

#9: Post by drgary »

It may be worth taking it to a motor shop so they can determine if your grinder will respond well to a start capacitor and to help spec it. I participated in a thread about this long ago and haven't yet to addressed that issue. My burrs went dull just at the time I acquired a Niche Zero.

Fiorenzato Doge Conico jamming after switch from single dosing to hopper
Gary
LMWDP#308