Tips for extracting Nordic roast coffee?

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
jesse

#1: Post by jesse »

Had posted this on the "coffee" subreddit as HB always seems more espresso-oriented to me, but isn't getting much traction over there, so:

After close to ten years in the game, still haven't pulled the trigger on a grinder capable of high enough EYs to properly extract a cup of Nordic roast level coffee, but all my favorite cups have been from shops serving Wendelboe, the lightest end of Heart etc.

Recently I started using Jonathan Gagné's long steep aeropress technique (infographic here), which he designed specifically to get the flavor profile "closer to pour overs brewed at high average extraction yields". Check out the entire blog post if you haven't already.

ANYWAY, the results I've been getting w/ my daily drivers (mostly Populace single origin stuff, just due to the fact they're local) have been promising enough that I finally placed an order with Sey.

Populace tends to be on the lighter end of the roast spectrum for Western filter coffee, but I imagine way more developed than Sey who apparently are as light as it gets stateside, so my first move would probably be going a click or two finer on the grind.

I've heard this stuff benefits from prolonged resting, someone was saying up to a couple weeks. Is this mostly the consensus?

Anything else to consider?

Advertisement
pham

#2: Post by pham »

Earnestly, I don't think it's that much different to use coffee from Tim or Sey. I don't need to push Tim's stuff very hard for it to taste great, same with Sey. Long steeps work well, but I wouldn't change much about your process. Just follow your tongue and enjoy the acidity and transparency that these people roast for. I also find Tim's stuff quite soluble for how light it is. His roasts are generally sweet, high in acidity, and have good texture. Sey will typically feel a little bit lighter, maybe less sweet, but I've had some really wonderful cups with sparkling acidity, a ton of complex aroma, and great cleanliness.

If you're searching for the most bang for your buck in improving extractions, recipe water is it, IMO.

jesse (original poster)

#3: Post by jesse (original poster) »

pham wrote: If you're searching for the most bang for your buck in improving extractions, recipe water is it, IMO.
I use the old Barista Hustle 1.0 recipe back from, oh, 2017 or so? Always great results.

OldmatefromOZ

#4: Post by OldmatefromOZ »

pham wrote:Earnestly, I don't think it's that much different to use coffee from Tim or Sey. I don't need to push Tim's stuff very hard for it to taste great, same with Sey. Long steeps work well, but I wouldn't change much about your process. Just follow your tongue and enjoy the acidity and transparency that these people roast for. I also find Tim's stuff quite soluble for how light it is. His roasts are generally sweet, high in acidity, and have good texture. Sey will typically feel a little bit lighter, maybe less sweet, but I've had some really wonderful cups with sparkling acidity, a ton of complex aroma, and great cleanliness.

If you're searching for the most bang for your buck in improving extractions, recipe water is it, IMO.
This mirrors my experience and differences between TW and SEY. Water and brewing techniques make biggest difference. TW light or espresso roasts are very soluble and the espresso roasts are pretty easy to extract well on most standard equipment as long as the pressure and flow are not ridiculously high.

mbbrew

#5: Post by mbbrew »

I agree on the water, but to be honest the really high quality Nordic stuff I don't struggle much to make good tasting coffee. If I get a bit higher extraction I get something very sweet if I get a lower EY then I end up with something that is bright but never sour. I've got decent but not crazy Monolith grinders or anything of that sort and can't remember the last time I had a cup that I would call underextracted. I would say that I have been using more flat bottom or slow flowing cone filters (Kono, Kasuya 60) if I find the rare coffee that water blows through quickly to increase contact time, but other than that I haven't needed to do much with my recipes.

rajbangsa

#6: Post by rajbangsa »

V60 4:6 works for me

with more sweetness adjusting (less water on 1st pour)

with 93c-95c temp

cheers

(RO water, Beans from random Nordic roastery with coffee subscription)