Rancilio Silvia 2013 won't heat

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
jjasilli

#1: Post by jjasilli »

Hi, I'm new to the Forum. Am seeking help to repair my wife's Rancilio Silvia with the 2013 or earlier boiler -- the heating element is integral to the boiler. It will not heat up.

I replaced the master thermostat; but water gets only lukewarm.

The heating element shows no electrical continuity to the body of the boiler.

Is this fixable? Is a fix worthwhile? Thanks for your help!

JRising
Team HB

#2: Post by JRising »

Sure, trace it out. If you're comfortable checking voltage on a live machine, start at the element and work outward with the one lead to each side of the brew thermostat (red dot), and the other out to each side of the safety and all the way back to the mains switch. When you discover the voltage drop, there's your problem.

If you'd rather work with the machine un-plugged, do the same but checking resistance outward from the element.

I'd say do it with steam switch off to eliminate the steam switch from the equation... If it won't heat above luke warm, we're not even considering the steam switch to be an issue, the problem occurs without it.

jjasilli (original poster)

#3: Post by jjasilli (original poster) »

Thanks for your swift & helpful Reply. Some more facts:
* not knowing it was an issue, my wife has left the Unit ON overnight.
* When plugged in and switched On: i) the Power SW light turns On; but ii) the separate heating indicator light does not come on; iii) pump works

Measurements:
1. Wall power is good at the business end of the power cord inside the Unit.
2. Heating element terminals connectivity to Ground: open circuit (no connectivity either side)
3. Heating element terminals connectivity to each other: meter wanders from about 16 Ohms to 17 Ohms
4. Heating element Bl Wire: 124.6 VAC (to ground); Yel Wire: 124.6 VAC
5. Safety Thermostat: 124.6 VAC both sides
6. Steam Thermostat: 124.6 VAC both sides
7. Brew Thermostat: Grey wire 124.6 VAC; Red Wire -0- VAC
8. Heat indicator Light: Bl wire (top) 124.0 VAC; BL wire bottom 124.6 VAC (light remains OFF)
9. Power SW from rear:
Top Right Bl Wire 124.0 VAC
Bott Right Bl Wire (power in from wall outlet) 124.6 VAC
Top Left Red Wire -0- VAC
Bott Left -0- VAC

Not sure how to interpret this info. Any help appreciated. Thanks!