Should I replace these grinder burrs?

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Lunox

#1: Post by Lunox »

Hello! I had an accident with my grinder, i forgot the hooper lid open and someone spilled water on the coffee in the hopper. For a week the grinder was infiltrated with water, when i got home i found out about the accident, i quickly opened the grinder and found the burrs stained and very dirty. I tried to clean to clean the burrs with all sorts of solutions but those stains don't come off. The taste of the coffee is not so good anymore, i ruined many pounds of good coffee. I bought this grinder 3 months ago, should I change these burrs?

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Pressino »

Normally surface staining per se should not affect grind quality or brewed coffee taste, but if the metal surface got corroded or pitted that could definitely affect the grinds. If you have a good 10x hand lens you could check the cutting edges to see if they have been affected and you can also get some idea by carefully running your fingers across the burrs...they should feel quite sharp.

Lunox (original poster)

#3: Post by Lunox (original poster) »

When I scrape my fingers on the burrs, they are very sharp.

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Pressino »

OK, let's say they have not been dulled by corrosion and grind as they should. Any chance other parts of the grinder (e.g. the path taken by the coffee through the grinder) have mold or something that affects the coffee flavor?

DaveC

#5: Post by DaveC »

From what you have said burrs should be fine, as someone said, the grinder needs a very good clean