Breville Dual Boiler not steaming - fixed, but any thoughts?

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
walter-

#1: Post by walter- »

To start; thanks to all people who delivered so much info here on the Breville Dual Boiler...

Since last week I have a new second hand Solis barista triple heat- the same as the BDB. Should be 3 years and 2.200 shots old according to seller and the info from the machine.

After 1 week of use, suddenly no steam...
I did do a descale a week ago after I got it, which didn't cause any issue.
I had no steam, the steam switch gave a light click and the steam light went on. I had the impression that above the steam boiler the device was heated. So looked like the steam boiler was heated.

The only thing 'special' was that I had switched on the device, forgot about it for about 30 minutes and it had turned off again (the auto switch off). I switch it on again, made 2 espressos and then there was no steam.... "Special" in the sense that the normal routine is to make coffee after 10-15 minutes when it is turned on. Not have it turned of again... (just adding this info, no idea if it is actually relevant to the issue). But no steam and no error message nor beeps...

Solution: I opened the steam boilers drain screw, it let out some steam and I closed it after about 2 seconds. Note the risk for getting burned when you do this! So I had prove the steam boiler was hot.

I tried the steam again and then the steaming worked again and at full power. To my surprise.....
Also, before taking the espressos I did refill the water tank. The tank was not completely empty before - about 2cm -1inch of water left according to the front indicator.

Any thoughts on what really happened here?

- was it just by accident that opening the drain hole fixed the issue?
- Is there maybe a protection to over pressure that stops the steam valve to open?
- I read somewhere it could be an 'air bubble' causing the issue. But I cannot understand how an air bubble would cause an issue and how the air bubble gets there. In the end steam is also just gas-air....
- the steam valve is maybe broken and the issue will happen again....

Any ideas from your side?

Walter

walter- (original poster)

#2: Post by walter- (original poster) »

A small kick on this topic.
Anyone has some ideas why this issue happened?

JRising
Team HB

#3: Post by JRising »

walter- wrote: - was it just by accident that opening the drain hole fixed the issue?
- Is there maybe a protection to over pressure that stops the steam valve to open?
- I read somewhere it could be an 'air bubble' causing the issue. But I cannot understand how an air bubble would cause an issue and how the air bubble gets there. In the end steam is also just gas-air....
- the steam valve is maybe broken and the issue will happen again....
Walter
If the steam circuit was terribly over-pressured, then the pressure would hold the valve closed. Valves have a maximum "opening pressure" based on how stron g the coil is and how large the valve-seat is.
Picture trying to open a car door underwater when the interior of the car hasn't had time to pressurize... You'd have to roll down the window (or open the steam-boiler drain screw).

#4: Post by walter- (original poster) »

Thanks for the reply!

Unfortunately my experience with underwater cars went together with so much stress I cannot really relate to that experience.

Do you happen to have the design of the valve to see if it indeed opens in the direction of the steam?

I will for now assume the issue came from an over pressure issue that prevented to open the steam valve.

If the issue comes back; I will provided feedback again.

Walter

luvmy40

#5: Post by luvmy40 »

The BDB steam valve is a 1/4 turn ball valve. The steam pressure will have no bearing on the valve operation.

JRising
Team HB

#6: Post by JRising »

walter- wrote: Do you happen to have the design of the valve to see if it indeed opens in the direction of the steam?
Sorry, Walter.
If the post above this is true, than my previous post was useless.
If it is a ball valve, then the inlet pressure wouldn't prevent it from opening. But if it's a ball valve, then you know that it's turning because your fingers are turning it. Now I don't understand the question, to be honest I don't know what "The nice Solis version BDB" even is.

#7: Post by walter- (original poster) »

JRising wrote:Sorry, Walter.
If the post above this is true, than my previous post was useless.
No Problem.
Until today I thought is was an electrical valve. I thought it was either open or closed (as an electrical switch would work). But now I realize it seems mechanical as I found out today I could partially open it (I can make it drip).

Even more strange I couldn't steam earlier.