Thoughts on Faema E61 Legend for a commercial shop?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
linhpham

#1: Post by linhpham »

Hello there,

I've been running a slow shop pretty well off a 2 group NS Appia II and having a Linea Mini at home. I pumped into a good deal with a 2016 Faema E61 Legend recently and it is so aesthetically pleasing that I am thinking of replacing my NS Appia II at the shop. I would like to ask if anyone has experiences with the Legend, what are the updates to the original and its consistency for the long term run (pressure, brew temperature, etc...). I am familiar with HX E61 system by using a Rocket for a few years and basically know the flushing practices. I am just curious to know more about the Faema E61 Legend in particular as I have found very little discussion on this machine compared to a heap of La Marzocco user online groups. As I observed, Korea & China seem to be a big market for the new Faema E61, is there any practical reason for that?

I hope someone can help.

Much appreciated!

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

How well trained are your baristas?

Some of the unexpectedly worst shots I've had have come from improperly managed HX machines.

BaristaBoy E61

#3: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Locally here in Montreal, some of the best shots we've had have consistently been from a café that runs a Faema E61 Legend. That might be due to any one of or several factors from the coffee to well trained baristas but it certainly indicates to me that the Legend is not deficient as to what appears in the cup.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

linhpham (original poster)

#4: Post by linhpham (original poster) »

Jeff wrote:How well trained are your baristas?

Some of the unexpectedly worst shots I've had have come from improperly managed HX machines.
Yes, very well said Jeff. I am considering the risks as well based on my experiences with the Rocket Appartamento, some days were better than the others.
BaristaBoy E61 wrote:Locally here in Montreal, some of the best shots we've had have consistently been from a café that runs a Faema E61 Legend. That might be due to any one of or several factors from the coffee to well trained baristas but it certainly indicates to me that the Legend is not deficient as to what appears in the cup.
Thank you for your input, BaristaBoy E61. I really want to check the machine out in person but haven't found any shop locally and the listing is 2 hours flight from my place. Good to hear about your experiences though :D

BaristaBoy E61

#5: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Welcome to HB Linh.

The Legend should be a bulletproof machine. If the seller can send you a video of them pulling a shot and steaming milk with this same machine, same serial number, then it might be less expensive to just buy the machine and repair anything wrong than the cost of the airline plane ticket!
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"