Best drip grinder under $300 budget (durability and noise are primary factors)

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Nwin23

#1: Post by Nwin23 »

Like the title says, I'm in the market for a new grinder under $300.

I've had a virtuoso for 5 years and it's done well. My chief complaints are the noise and the fact I've replaced the plastic burr holder 3 times in the past 2 years. Not sure why-I get its sacrificial to save the motor but I'm not using it a ton.

I mainly do espresso now with a Niche Zero, but the new grinder would be used 1-2 times a week for drip coffee (up to 60g a time) and once a week to grind 200g at a time for cold brew, so a very coarse grind.

I'll be honest-my palate is NOT refined. I mainly do medium roast coffee. I don't care flat/conical burrs. I want something that's quieter than my Baratza, is reliable, and that's about it. I guess low retention would be nice because the virtuoso retains a ton.

I'm located in the US.

Quester

#2: Post by Quester »

It seems like the Ode Brew Grinder is a perfect fit for you. If you want to do more research, watch the YouTube video Lance Hedrick just posted on this grinder.

Rice Bowl

#3: Post by Rice Bowl »

I would second the Ode. I think the teasered v2 burrs will only be another $30-40 as well once they're finally released. I enjoy the brews I get with the SSP MPs more than what I did with the v1.0 burrs (kickstarter Ode, never utilized the v1.1 burrs personally), but the brews even with the v1.0 burrs were very good and tasty once I dialed myself in to my specific preferences.

braxtonjens

#4: Post by braxtonjens »

Fellow ode is good.
I use the 1.1 burrs, they perform well for pour over and drip coffee.
For a typical 60g/1L brew the results are very good, and often rival or surpass some of the best batch brew I've gotten in cafes.
“Coffee is always a good idea”
LMWDP #617