ECM Gran Crema vs Premium Bottomless Portafilter

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
cibby
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by cibby »

Anyone have experience with both of the ECM bottomless portafilters? The Gran Crema appears shorter and I don't believe it comes w a basket. Based on the side photos I think this is the model I tend to see for sale at WLL, etc. The "premium" comes w a 21g basket and appears taller. I'm in the market for a bottomless and not sure which to get.

JB90068
Supporter ❤

#2: Post by JB90068 »

I have the Gran Crema Portafilter with the angled handle from WLL. You are correct that it does not come with a basket. Looking at the premium on ECM's website, I would offer that it is a hair deeper and it appears to be tapered. I've used the gran crema daily for several months now and have no complaints. The fact that it didn't come with a basket was no problem because I never used any of ECM's baskets anyway...
Old baristas never die. They just become over extracted.

cibby (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by cibby (original poster) »

That's helpful, thank you. What size basket(s) are you using with it?

JB90068
Supporter ❤

#4: Post by JB90068 replying to cibby »

18g Barista Pro and or a 20g Barista Pro. Just ordered a 18g VST which should be here by next week.
Old baristas never die. They just become over extracted.

cibby (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by cibby (original poster) »

Did the new baskets arrive? Curious how they're working.

I have reached out to ECM trying to get info from them on the difference between the two versions. I contacted WLL but the person I spoke with wasn't sure of the difference.

cibby (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by cibby (original poster) »

Thought I'd share info that I received from ECM on this topic...
Please be informed that the main difference is that the Gran Crema bottomless portafilter is made of brass.
The Premium stainless steel portafilter (bottomless) is made of stainless steel.
The Gran Crema also comes with a 21g basket.