Salvatore Famosa Sienna replacement portafilter

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Alaroast

#1: Post by Alaroast »

I just purchased this semi auto for $40 but is missing the portafilter and basket, reservoir lid, and drip tray. In trying to locate parts, I came across Salvatore's website and called the shop in California where I actually talked to Salvatore who hand crafts all of his machines. This one was built in 1995 and he said he has no spare parts but could machine me a new portafilter for a reasonable price. Before I do that, I wanted to ask on this forum if anybody knows if other brand portafilters are interchangeable with his machines.
Thoughts?

aldus9999

#2: Post by aldus9999 »

Later versions of this machine used E61 grouphead, and Rancilio portafliters were compatible. You should measure the size of the opening in the grouphead.

Alaroast (original poster)

#3: Post by Alaroast (original poster) »

I'll have to figure out where to make the measurements in the grouphead to determine what size I need. I know my 58 mm portafilter from my Bric is too big so maybe this one in 48 mm. Even so, all same size portafilters do not fit all machines.

#4: Post by Alaroast (original poster) »

I've determined that I need a 55 mm portafilter based on measurements. What is different about this grouphead that I don't quite understand is that there is no seal where the filter locks into the group like you would see in an E-61 grouphead seal. There is, however, an o-ring just outboard of the shower screen but would fall within the are contained by the basket and is unlike a standard portafilter that I'm familiar with (E-61 type). This o-ring would not make contact with anything to seal the basket. What am I missing?

civ

#5: Post by civ »

Hello:
Alaroast wrote: ... purchased this semi auto for $40 ...
... talked to Salvatore who hand crafts all of his machines.
... no spare parts but could machine me a new portafilter ...
Hand made vintage semi-auto for $40?
With the manufacturer actually willing to make a new PF for you?

https://www.independent.com/2019/12/17/ ... -machines/

In my opinion, save getting another $40 unit but with the missing parts, you can't get much better that that.
Speaks wonders of Salvatore.
He'll probably give you a hand with finding replacements for the rest of the parts.

That said, do check these 5 pages of links I found here at HB using the Search function:

search.php?keywords=salvatore+famosa&te ... t=0&ch=300

Best,

CIV

#6: Post by Alaroast (original poster) »

So I found out what that strange group head configuration was for...ESE pods. I'll have to change the screen for regular espresso.