Opinions for an entry level grinder

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Bill Picket

#1: Post by Bill Picket »

Quick backstory

I was sent to Sicily for 4 months where you can guarantee to find gelato and/or espresso within a few feet from where you stand. So I fell in love with espresso and have wanted a machine ever since coming back.

Originally I was going to get a Lelit Mara X... wife got sticker shock and shut that down. So.. My plan is to stay around $1k as much as possible and purchase a Lelit Anna. Not sure about a grinder. I've read and read. Something entryish level that would pair well with the Anna.

Grazie!

-Bill

randytsuch

#2: Post by randytsuch »

Is a manual/hand grinder an option?
That makes it easy to stay within your budget.

The answer should really depend on how many shots you plan to make.

Randy

Advertisement
Marmot

#3: Post by Marmot »

I would also suggest a manual grinder because you get much better quality for prize than with an electric one. The 1zpresso JX Pro is really good and very cheap.
Regarding the machine, are you set already on the Lelit Anna? How about a Pavoni lever machine? I think you will be able to pull much better espresso from a Pavoni and it will be a lot easier to sell to your wife ;)

Bill Picket (original poster)

#4: Post by Bill Picket (original poster) »

I plan on pulling 3-4 shots per day. Wife would probably be in that same range. I've got a couple of kids that enjoy coffee, latte, cappuccino etc.

I didn't want to dive too far into the lever type machine. My goal is to try and make it as user friendly as possible so the wife can use it as well... and then eventually after she falls in love with it.. I'll get the Mara X. But... on the other hand.. the lever machines are extremely aesthetically pleasing to look at.

I hadn't considered a manual grinder tbh. Never looked into it at all. I wouldn't rule it out if it cuts the cost and produces consistently.

-Bill

Marmot

#5: Post by Marmot »

Did you consider the Option-O Lagom Mini? I just saw this video from Brian Quan and have to admit that this grinder never crossed my radar before.
It's actually an electric version of a larger conical hand grinder and seems to be very quiet and the stepless adjustment means it should be very good for espresso. It's of course more expensive than a hand grinder but will probably be worth it if you are going to make a lot of espresso.

randytsuch

#6: Post by randytsuch »

IMHO, 3-4 shots would be a lot to do on a manual grinder. Manual's are cheaper for the grind quality you get, but the tradeoff is convenience.
Its fine for me, I normally only pull one shot a day, maybe 2 on weekends.

MemPast

#7: Post by MemPast »

For an entry level grinder, I think the Eureka Mignon Notte Espresso is suitable. (The cheaper model Eureka Mignon Crono might also be good for espresso).
Another good option would be the Baratza Vario+.

Advertisement
calmcoffee

#8: Post by calmcoffee »

I was in a similarly budget constrained situation years ago and ended up with a used Mazzer Super Jolly. They don't get as much love here as they used to, but it'd do just fine for "normal" espresso. I haven't delved far into super light roasts with it, but there are SSP burrs and other options that I think would make it serviceable in that regard. There's also mods to make it into a reasonable single doser.

I bought mine used probably a decade ago, and its been fine even as my skills improved. If you hunt around you can find them used at a good price, I got mine on Craigslist from a shop that was closing down for something like $500 if I recall. I haven't used the newer, internet-hyped grinders, but the Mazzer is built like a tank and I'm not worried about it breaking, parts availability, etc. If you get it used, you can likely resell it for about the same price.

karamba

#9: Post by karamba »

Just get yourself a Baratza 270wi. It has a plastic gear which may/does wear out but is easy and cheap to replace. However it is not its biggest drawbacks. The most annoying thing about it is that you get spoiled by the grind by weight feature and if you want to upgrade the next comparable grinder is over $2000