DF64 vs Atom 60

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
pdx-climber

#1: Post by pdx-climber »

I'm getting my first espresso-centric grinder... I have a DF64 pre-ordered but for similar price I can get a used Atom 60. I'm generally not a fan of fancy electronics... I weigh and single dose every shot, so hopper would be replaced with bellows. Electronics on the Atom were just replaced- which concerns me since it's only 3yrs old (per the owner... it was inspected and electrics replaced by Clive).
Most important to me is flavor, consistency, retention... noise is a secondary concern. I imagine the Atom is a bit bigger on the bench but maybe not too much bigger.

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

Maybe I missed something in your post. I read a lot of concerns and things you'd need to change. What do you see as advantages of the Atom 60 for you?

pdx-climber (original poster)

#3: Post by pdx-climber (original poster) »

Only the build quality of Eureka vs the DF... seems ppl are hit or miss on the DF. Converting Atom to SD should be easy I would think - I know a lot of ppl have done it on other Eurekas. Just wondering if the Atom at 1/2 retail is something to snag.

LindoPhotography

#4: Post by LindoPhotography »

I haven't tried the Atom 60 but I have an Atom75, it's a beast, but has a lot more retention and is not ideal for single dosing (some people still do it), I might try a 3d printed hopper mod and see how it works with it.
DF64 isn't extremely loud but it's a normal volume level, Atom is super quiet and fast (at least the 75 is, I believe 60 is similar, maybe not quite so fast though).
If you do get the 60, you can supposedly fit the 65mm burrs in there for a cheap upgrade and likely lower retention.

IF you mostly do light roasts I'd suggest the DF64, if you mostly do medium or darker go with the Atom their burrs are better suited for that style I believe. If you want to do a mix of coarser brew methods and espresso go with the DF64, ideally with any of the SSP burr options for best results.
For Just espresso Eureka or the DF64 with stock burrs should be fine

rajbangsa

#5: Post by rajbangsa »

The downside of atom 60 are that the original chute are suck and not seal completely if you use the bellow coffee will leak/drop out all over the place mostly inside at the bottom

I fixed it by tape-wrapping the chute all together (the plastics and the silicon) at one piece and its works good as a single dose with bellow on top :D