New Shower Screen

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
randyr5
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by randyr5 »

I need a new shower screen for my E61, and have narrowed it down the IMS 200 with holes everywhere but the very middle, or the IMS E&B Labs with holes across the whole surface of the screen. Does it really make much difference?

baldheadracing
Team HB

#2: Post by baldheadracing »

The theory is if your E-61 dispersion screw/block has a center outlet (pointing straight down), then get a screen with the center blocked, as another_jim referenced in this recent shower screen thread:

"Barista Improving Taste" E-61 shower screen/baskets
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada
★ Helpful

Advertisement
BaristaBoy E61

#3: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

We've had very good results with the E61 200 IMS, I would recommend it. I would also recommend direct plumbing for water line level preinfusion as well, with a proper water filter and water pressure regulator as well.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

1rider

#4: Post by 1rider »

randyr5 wrote:I need a new shower screen for my E61, and have narrowed it down the IMS 200 with holes everywhere but the very middle, or the IMS E&B Labs with holes across the whole surface of the screen. Does it really make much difference?
Purely out of curiosity, what makes one need a new shower screen? Has it worn or failed in anyway, I would like to keep an eye out for that sort of thing if it something I should watch for.
Cheers,
Patrick

JRising
Team HB

#5: Post by JRising »

They do wear and, at least on the cheapo ones, the holes wear larger and become awkwardly shaped. The edges get poked from the screwdrivers or whatever tools one uses to remove them every time the gasket is changed or the showerface is removed to inspect and clean the head.

They certainly outlast the gasket, but I would expect to change them after a few years.

Moxiechef
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Moxiechef »

I've found that the old screen on screen sandwich construction would get impossible to thoroughly clean. I'd hold it up to the light and you could see the baked in coffee oils inside there.

The IMS screens are extremely easy to clean and they stay cleaner between chemical cleanings.

I've had my IMS and cannot see any sign of wear in the holes. Looks brand new. It'd be interesting to see some lab study on how much water needs to pass through there before it showed signs of wear. Unless there's some other way it's earring out.

cafeIKE

#7: Post by cafeIKE »

e61 shower screens come in varying heights. Changing to a different height may affect your shots depending on dose.
JRising wrote:They certainly outlast the gasket, but I would expect to change them after a few years.
I don't know how long silicone gaskets last since I've only had them since they were introduced, but I have a couple of e61 with 15 & 13 year old shower screens. Perhaps the silicone gasket contributes to their longevity as they are not welded in place with ossified rubber and pop out easily.