Elektra Microcasa a Leva second hand - model years to avoid?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Sølvi

#1: Post by Sølvi »

I am looking for an Elektra Microcasa a Leva, second hand or new.

Does anyone know about the development in quality or changes in the production over the years?

I read in this forum that the metal and coating was improved after 2005, so probably avoid pre 2005? Are there other changes to consider? Any year models to avoid? Any reason to not buy the newest model, except from the price?

Here in Europe, the price for a new one has raised from 1300 to 1800 euros/dollars the last months. I have seen the old price at a reseller website, so should act quickly if I go for a new one :)

baldheadracing
Team HB

#2: Post by baldheadracing »

Anti-vacuum valves were added sometime after the late '80's - my 1985 didn't have one. You want this. Early machines also didn't have a retaining spring in the portafilter, which annoys some people.

At some point the steam wand tip was made removeable for cleaning. (In prior models the whole steam wand had to be removed for regular cleaning, which is a bit of a pain as the tip usually needs to be cleaned more often than the entire wand.)

The spring changed around 1997.

A bunch of underhood changes were made in 2005, but nothing particularly earth-shattering from a user perspective. All of the above-mentioned changes were in place by 2005.

EU regulations on lead in espresso machines have been tightened every five or so years in this century, so if you're concerned with lead, then you'll want a later machine. I'm not in the EU so I don't know the details, e.g., when products have to comply with which year of regulations. (The regulations in the USA/Canada are not the same.)

Good luck!
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Advertisement
stefano65
Sponsor

#3: Post by stefano65 »

Sightglass assembly since 2018 is no longer welded to the boiler.
Stefano Cremonesi
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repairs & sales from Oregon.

Sølvi (original poster)

#4: Post by Sølvi (original poster) »

baldheadracing wrote:Anti-vacuum valves were added sometime after the late '80's - my 1985 didn't have one. You want this. Early machines also didn't have a retaining spring in the portafilter, which annoys some people.

At some point the steam wand tip was made removeable for cleaning. (In prior models the whole steam wand had to be removed for regular cleaning, which is a bit of a pain as the tip usually needs to be cleaned more often than the entire wand.)

The spring changed around 1997.

A bunch of underhood changes were made in 2005, but nothing particularly earth-shattering from a user perspective. All of the above-mentioned changes were in place by 2005.

EU regulations on lead in espresso machines have been tightened every five or so years in this century, so if you're concerned with lead, then you'll want a later machine. I'm not in the EU so I don't know the details, e.g., when products have to comply with which year of regulations. (The regulations in the USA/Canada are not the same.)

Good luck!
Thank you! I see a 2004 model for sale at 1000 euros, a bit expensive, perhaps.

Sølvi (original poster)

#5: Post by Sølvi (original poster) »

stefano65 wrote:Sightglass assembly since 2018 is no longer welded to the boiler.
Thank you, is this a good thing or not? Easier to change when it is not welded?

baldheadracing
Team HB

#6: Post by baldheadracing »

Sølvi wrote:Thank you! I see a 2004 model for sale at 1000 euros, a bit expensive, perhaps.
If a new one is 1300 Euro, then I'd certainly chose a new one over a 1000 Euro that is 17 years old ...
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Sølvi (original poster)

#7: Post by Sølvi (original poster) »

Yes, you're right, even if it is used only 20 times according to the seller. As it is from before 2005, I prefer a newer model. I just ordered a new one from Ferrari Espresso in UK, will be 1400 euros/dollars after taxes. Excited to brew with this machine. Will do research on a good tamper and maybe get a naked portafilter. I guess advices about this and other stuff belongs to another thread.