Propane regulation- Kaldi 500gm.

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
rickj

#1: Post by rickj »

I'm trying to chart my roasts and the weak link is the flame intensity- I have the usual BBQ propane and regulators but no way to really gauge the heat level other than flame appearance and ET and BT (which lags from heat input- ie they will tell me that the heat WAS too hi or low) is there a graduated or dial regulator for the propane? Also (maybe more important) does the tank pressure vary with propane level? I was under the impression that the expanding/evaporating liquid propane keeps the tank pressure fairly constant no matter the level of propane. I suppose I could go digital (computer) on my thermometers for a quicker read of temp change but I do like the lower tech of my set-up, and being able to record my heat input more accurately would make me a happy roaster and charter. (for ex: I like to lower the heat between first and second crack in a way that I could quantify it- not just eyeball the flame!)

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Brewzologist »

Suppose other Kaldi owners will chime in, but I strongly recommend a gauge after the regulator with a range appropriate to your roaster/stove. Having a good gauge that you can log the reading of is critical to repeating and improving roasts over time. Here's an example from a different roaster that may give you some ideas:

Huky - Gas Regulator

Advertisement
littlenut

#3: Post by littlenut »

Rick, In addition to a PG just before the propane inlet to the burner, you want to "control" the air flow in some way. In my setup I vary the speed of a blower motor that induces a draft through the system. I normally only adjust the flow between roasts. HTH, -LN

rickj (original poster)

#4: Post by rickj (original poster) »

so I have that exact regulator (I think) Maybe I'll put some marks on it although it doesn't feel very precise- a slight nudge will change the flame. I wonder if there's a gauge that would show the flow of propane to the burneras pressure or volume or whatever. re: airflow, I have the adjustment on the burner and the fan on the chaff collector which I do use and log when. The burner air adjustment keeps a nice blue flame at the rage that I use it for roasting.

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Brewzologist »

rickj wrote:so I have that exact regulator (I think) Maybe I'll put some marks on it although it doesn't feel very precise- a slight nudge will change the flame. I wonder if there's a gauge that would show the flow of propane to the burner as pressure or volume or whatever.
Yes you can get a pressure gauge in a number of different units of measure, whether it's PSI, kPa, wc, etc.. I recommend you go with what the Kaldi community typically uses because it makes conversations about roasts easier.

Personally, I've found that adjusting the regulator is too coarse and imprecise during a roast, even with a gauge after it. On my roaster, after the variable propane regulator but before the gauge is a needle valve that more precisely controls the gas to the stove during a roast. You might want to consider that if you aren't getting enough control with the regulator valve. But hopefully someone with more Kaldi expertise can help you with this issue. That's just how my roaster works.

hankua
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by hankua »

Here's a setup I made for a different brand of roaster. The US low pressure regulators usually come with 5/16" hose, in the photo the white hose is 3/8" a size less expensive to get fittings for. On the left is a 5/16" to 3/8" male hose barb; what I would use to snip the black gas hose and extend it in 3/8". The quality of the needle valves can vary, I'm not sure if price is equal to quality. The hose clamps in the photo show two different excellent choices; a solid band with bolt/nut and an permanent style "ear"clamp. I've found "wc gauges for less on Ebay and Amazon, the 15"wc gauge works for most gas grill regulators except for the Gas One 1psi; it needs a 30"wc version.

coffee-fox
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by coffee-fox »

My old roaster was a Kaldi wide 300g and this was the stove setup that I assembled for it. It's very similar to hankua's setup.

Standard low pressure fixed 11.5 WC propane regulator.
Parker needle valve
Dywer 15 WC pressure gauge
Cast iron propane burner

This gives very fine control of the burner flame and the settings are repeatable.

Parker Brass Inline Process Needle Valve with PTFE Stem Seal, 1/4" NPT Male Inlet/Outlet Port, 3000 psi
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004M ... UTF8&psc=1

https://www.freshwatersystems.com/produ ... fVEALw_wcB

Dwyer 2.5" Low Pressure Gage, LPG5-D8122N, Bottom Connection, 0-15" w.c. (0-3.75 kPa)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E6 ... UTF8&psc=1

For that burner search ebay for propane burner cast iron and there is many sellers for it. There is two versions of it: USA style 3/8-Inch Male Flare Brass Adapter or barbed end for hose clamping.

Search Amazon for various brass fittings you need to connect everything such, 1/4 NTP brass Tee fitting, 1/4 NTP to 3/8 flare

and plumbers PTFE (teflon) tape.
Michael Davis

Advertisement
rickj (original poster)

#8: Post by rickj (original poster) »

Some great ideas here...thanks. Coffee-fox, your set up may be the answer for me. Can't really tell but I believe I have a larget burner (6") think your part specs would still apply? Also I notice a valve AT the burner, on mine (Cajun) the propane feeds directly into the burner. Thanks all