Do you find some coffees better at lower and higher ratio in pour over

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Acavia

#1: Post by Acavia »

I have tended to like higher water ratios for pour over coffee, normally doing 17:1, even doing 18, 19 and 20 a few times and liking it. Usually when I try 15:1 with a coffee, I do not like the coffee as much - too strong, less clean, not as bright.

Recently after brewing a Yemen coffee, that I did not like much, many times at 17:1, I decided to try 15:1 with it and I liked the resulting coffee. At 17:1 it was kind of flat tasting. By flat I mean how rootbeer is kind of a flat funky taste compared to a Coke. At 15:1, the coffee was sharper and actually brighter and fresher and it was more sweet.

This was the first coffee I liked at a lower water ratio. Do others find some coffees do better at lower ratios and some do better at higher? If so, what types usually taste better to you at high and at low ratios?

CathyWeeks

#2: Post by CathyWeeks »

I tend to prefer peaberry coffees to be brewed at a lower ratio. They seem to be less strongly flavored.

OldmatefromOZ

#3: Post by OldmatefromOZ »

I like clean washed coffee 17 - 20:1 using V60. On the occasion i try a natural i find 14 - 15:1 works best with some dilution after.
Seems to highlight to good parts of fruity naturals while minimising things i find very unpleasant in the aftertaste at higher brew ratio.

Acavia (original poster)

#4: Post by Acavia (original poster) replying to OldmatefromOZ »

That would be consistent with the Yemen at 15:1. The Yemen is sun dried and tasted like a natural Ethiopian sans blueberry at 17:1. 15:1 took away the wild taste in it.