Olympic Cremina coming out of 17 year hibernation

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Ron Wolfe

#1: Post by Ron Wolfe »

Does a Cremina need new seals and gasket that's been in storage for the past 17 years? It's a 92 that supposedly has had little use. Just researching before I make the plunge.

Thanks
Ron (first post)

Marmot

#2: Post by Marmot »

Yes, I would think so. The seals will probably have become hard and might leak. You could be lucky and they are still ok to make shots without water leaking out. But I would change at least the two seals for the plunger which is an easy job. When buying a used cremina I would check if the heating element is still ok by filling the tank with water and trying to turn it on and see if the safety trips. The heating element is an expensive piece to replace ;)

Ron Wolfe (original poster)

#3: Post by Ron Wolfe (original poster) »

Thanks Marco!

Sw1ssdude

#4: Post by Sw1ssdude »

I would take the group apart, and see if the gaskets are still soft. if so, clean them thoroughly and apply some food safe silicone grease for smooth operation (there is also a tiny shaft seal in the very top of the group, secured with a clip, dont forget to check and lube that one too)

the rest of the gaskets are 'static', they are okay as long as they are watertight.

Send some pictures!

Good Luck!
Lean Mean Caffeine Machine

#5: Post by Ron Wolfe (original poster) »

Well the '92 fell through but nabbed an '86 that was well cared for with very recent spa treatment with new gaskets and seals, naked porterfilter, and Naked pressure kit. UPS arrived with it as I was heading out of town but will post pics upon return.

Thank guys for the recommendations.

I've got a Niche on order and hoping to source a Kinu M47 to tide me over. If anyone have one they'd like to part with, let me know. I see one in Buy/Sell but I'm to new to forum to post a reply. (If someone doesn't mind replying to it asking seller to check their PM's, I'd appreciate it )

Can't wait to pull my first shot!

Cheers

Jeff
Team HB

#6: Post by Jeff »

Buy/Sell only uses PMs to communicate among buyers and sellers. Your PM is already ahead of any "please check" ones that would follow.

#7: Post by Ron Wolfe (original poster) »

Thanks Jeff! I'll sit and be patient

jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#8: Post by jwCrema »

I posted my experience with an used 1985 Cremina in this forum. Sw1ssdude's advice pretty much mirrors what I did. I bought parts for a rebuild but found they were not needed. As I inspected things still looked new. The worst that can happen is it will leak, although I was careful ensure the manometer and pressure release valve were working. Nothing leaked.

I've found two more machines in this state; a 1978 Club, second to last one built and an Elektra Micro Casa A Leva. The Club is my daily driver and the MCAL is going in the Sprinter. I was in Montana last weekend in my other car and had 1000 miles of horrible coffee. Anyway, same story on the Club and MCAL