Quickmill Silvano slow before water comes

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
kayakerboy

#1: Post by kayakerboy »

My Quickmill Silvano has a couple of issues
* it takes a long time (~30 seconds?) before the water starts to come out when brewing. Normal is maybe 10 sec or a bit less I think. The pump pressure when brewing seems normal. With a blank filter it keeps 10 bars
* there is a persistent sound coming from the machine when switched on. Not too loud but anyway a gurgling sound, previously is was more or less completely silent

I have descaled a couple of weeks ago and also for troubleshooting switched off the steam switch but the noise continues.

New pump needed or is this some kind of valve issue? A bit confused since the pump builds pressure just fine.

kayakerboy (original poster)

#2: Post by kayakerboy (original poster) »

Seems to be similar issue to this one that I didn't find before posting:
Leaking expansion valve - Quickmill Silvano

I have now ordered an "air release valve", let's hope it works.
PL08700VA / "VALVOLA S1"

Advertisement
JRising
Team HB

#3: Post by JRising »

In addition to losing its brew water over the expansion valve or air-release valve, the machine could be losing it over the brew valve. Run the pump with the lever down (brew valve closed) and see if it comes out the brewhead and/or drain. It should ONLY be coming out the OPV with the brew valve closed.

#4: Post by kayakerboy (original poster) »

Thanks for the addition JRising.

I did change the air release valve and it solved the problem completely, might be good to know for other troubleshooters

mgw

#5: Post by mgw »

Hey @kayakerboy,

Did you also replace the expansion valve seat while you were in there? Also, assuming you ordered your parts off of Chris' Coffee?

Just picked up a Quick Mill Silvano yesterday and the machine is in fantastic shape - except it's slowly draining the boiler back into the reservoir like yours.

#6: Post by kayakerboy (original poster) »

mgw wrote:Hey @kayakerboy,

Did you also replace the expansion valve seat while you were in there? Also, assuming you ordered your parts off of Chris' Coffee?
No I only replaced the air release valve and that did the trick.
I didnt order from Chris' since I'm in Europe/Sweden. I found an Italian site, let me know if you want the address and I'll look it up for you

#7: Post by kayakerboy (original poster) »

This is where I ordered the air release valve https://www.lamacchinadelcaffe.com/cart ... =PL08700VA - it was an extremely quick delivery

Advertisement
mgw

#8: Post by mgw »

Nice, thanks for the info. I'm waiting on Chris' to restock the air valve o-ring before ordering! Also replacing the expansion valve seat while I'm in there because I might as well.

Also, random question, but do you know if the group gasket is a standard e61 8mm size? I'd like to replace it with a cafelat silicon gasket instead of the OEM rubber gasket.

Thanks!

JRising
Team HB

#9: Post by JRising »

No Silvano gaskets are not just 8mm E61 gaskets.

I don't know if Cafelat makes a silicone gasket for the Silvanos... They make them for other little machines like Silvias and Gaggia Classics, so they probably do, but I can't find ii in a 10 second Google search.