Commandante vs Fellow Ode

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Abecker

#1: Post by Abecker »

I'm looking at grinders for brewed coffee. I primarily use a Chemex or Clever Dripper and love drinking lighter coffee like Ethiopians, but also some medium roast as well. I can't stand dark roasted coffee. The Commandante seems to be highly regarded but at the same time the Ode looks promising with the 64mm flat burr. I really want to stick with a single dosing grinder. Does one of these make more sense than the other or is there a third I should be considering?

jpsm

#2: Post by jpsm replying to Abecker »

Both are great choices imo. Only wish that the ode could grind a little bit finer for my purposes as I love to brew with small doses on a kalita and it's basically not possible to do 14-16g doses on the finest setting on an ode. In my part of the world, prices of both are not that far apart also. It's also a hassle to grind light roasted coffee manually so there is that also :)

Auctor

#3: Post by Auctor replying to jpsm »

I don't own the Kalita, but I have a V60 and an Aeropress. Do you believe that a 12-13g dose can't be effectively ground using an Ode for my drip methods? Asked differently, what's the ideal brew method and dose for the Ode?

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Pressino »

For brewed coffee the 1-Zpresso JX is excellent and very reasonably priced. If you want to grind with smaller more precise steps to make espresso, the JX-Pro costs a bit more but works better for that purpose. Nothing wrong with the Commandante, but it costs a lot more (especially if you need to buy the add-on feature that allows more precise grind intervals that makes it more fit for espresso).

Jonk

#5: Post by Jonk »

Michael Fabian put the Comandante ahead of the Ode in his showdown. It was the first review by someone a bit skeptical to the product that I've seen.

jpsm

#6: Post by jpsm »

Auctor wrote:I don't own the Kalita, but I have a V60 and an Aeropress. Do you believe that a 12-13g dose can't be effectively ground using an Ode for my drip methods? Asked differently, what's the ideal brew method and dose for the Ode?
I am not quite sure. TBH I only use my ode whenever we host a public cupping(ek is too big to move around).

Yan

#7: Post by Yan »

For chemex and clever drip, both c40mk3 or ode are good grinders.