Anyone tried a glass Kalita Wave dripper as a Melodrip/Gabi/Hario drip assist type tool?

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Acavia

#1: Post by Acavia »

The tools, such as Gabi Drip Master, Hario Assist, and Melodrip, are made from plastic. I am not comfortable using plastic with hot water and would prefer not to do so if possible to avoid. I am not trying to argue that point, I just want to put it forth as the reason I am thinking about using a glass Kalita Wave as such as tool because otherwise, I assume someone would ask why not just use one of those.

I have used V60 as main brewer for over the last year-plus, but now using a Kalita Wave 185. That got me thinking I could use a Kalita Wave as a drip assist, holding it above a V60, while pouring into The Kalita Wave with kettle. I'll test it, next time I use a V60.

Anyone already tried it?

lukehk

#2: Post by lukehk »

I've not tried it but I do have a Gabi a, b and a melodrip. I think the water would pour much faster from a kalita. I would think this would disrupt the bed more but who knows

Advertisement
happycat

#3: Post by happycat »

Acavia wrote:The tools, such as Gabi Drip Master, Hario Assist, and Melodrip, are made from plastic. I am not comfortable using plastic with hot water and would prefer not to do so if possible to avoid. I am not trying to argue that point, I just want to put it forth as the reason I am thinking about using a glass Kalita Wave as such as tool because otherwise, I assume someone would ask why not just use one of those.

I have used V60 as main brewer for over the last year-plus, but now using a Kalita Wave 185. That got me thinking I could use a Kalita Wave as a drip assist, holding it above a V60, while pouring into The Kalita Wave with kettle. I'll test it, next time I use a V60.

Anyone already tried it?
HB has a great search function.

Kalita wave + V60 flow control
LMWDP #603

yakster
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by yakster »

I once tried to make a Wave like brewer out of a cupcake pan, but it didn't work too well because the filter would stick to the bottom. You might try this kind of idea with lots of little holes to simulate a melodrip.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Acavia (original poster)

#5: Post by Acavia (original poster) replying to yakster »

Thanks. I thought of Espreso Bloom but being metal it would reduce the temperature of the water a bit I assume.

DamianWarS

#6: Post by DamianWarS replying to Acavia »

something cheaper would be a phin filter or Vietnamese dripper. I've only seen metal ones so it might not work as well as you desire but they are a lot cheaper than stuff like an espro bloom or kalita wave