Chloride reduction and water softening with refrigerator water filter

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
caeffe

#1: Post by caeffe »

My refrigerator water filter was needing replacement and i found this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016P ... UTF8&psc=1 ref. ICEPURE Plus refrigerator water filter, NSF42 and NSF53 certified.

It makes "claims" of chlorine and chloride reduction. It seems that NSF53 certification applies to chlorine and heavy metal reduction but I'm somewhat skeptical if it can reduce chlorides and provide water softening. i can't seem to find details on the filtration media being used.

Eventually I plan to install either a whole house or point of use water filter that'll provide water softening and chloride reduction. In the meantime I'm using Crystal Geyser water but was wondering if the refrigerator water filter or NSF53 certification provides some level of chloride reduction as well as water softening. I've detailed my water report here: Seeking water treatment suggestions and recommendations

Is there a particular type of certification one should look for?
LMWDP #162

homeburrero
Team HB

#2: Post by homeburrero »

NSF certification carries some guarantee about the strength and safety of the filter materials, and that the vendor's claims about specific removals are backed by standard independent tests, but don't in themselves say what it removes. NSF 42 is about aesthetic effects, which may include class I particulates, chlorine, chloramine, and "taste and odor". NSF 53 covers a variety of health related contaminants. In the case of this filter the vendor's claims for taste and odor, chlorine, and class I particulates are supported per NSF 42, and the claims for cysts, lead, and mercury are supported per NSF 53.
per your link, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016P ... UTF8&psc=1 :
ICEPURE PLUS Advanced Series - Upgraded Certified

NSF 53 certified to reduce: Lead- 99.6%
NSF 53 certified to reduce: Mercury- 89.3%
NSF 53 certified to reduce: Cyst- 99.99%
NSF 42 certified to reduce: Chlorine- 97.5%, Taste & Odor- 97.5%
NSF 42 certified to reduce: Particulate Class I- 99.8%
NSF 372 certified for Lead-free compliance
Recommended to replace filter every 200 gallons or 6 months, Vary based on water quality.

I don't see any claim about chloride removal (nor would I expect one with this type of filter.)
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

Advertisement
caeffe (original poster)

#3: Post by caeffe (original poster) »

Thx Pat
In the link provided, one of the images indicated "reduce Chlorine, Chloride, odor, Benzen, Phenols
I'm unsure how to paste the image/screenshot in but Its the 4th image you can scroll to.

As I don't see any mention of Chloride reduction in the NSF 42 or NSF 53 certification I was thinking it was marketing hype. Anyways... i thought a few extra $ for the NSF53 would be ok for my usecase although it probably isn't needed for my water.
LMWDP #162