Niche Zero grinder -- effect of adjustments on shot times

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
mgwolf
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by mgwolf »

Somewhere I got the impression that one notch on the Niche adjustment ring (eg 11 to 12) would result in about a 10 second change in shot time. I seem to be getting about 15 seconds or more for a single mark adjustment. I was curious as to what other Niche owners are experiencing in this regard. Thanks in advance.

luvmy40

#2: Post by luvmy40 »

It depends on the beans!

With my medium roast Brazil, half a tick is somewhere around 6 seconds difference. With a lighter roast Rwanda, half a tick is more like 8 seconds.

Advertisement
Jeff
Team HB

#3: Post by Jeff »

My total adjustment range across a selection of medium-light to light beans is about 5 marks. I definitely use half-mark increments in dialing in. I dial in by taste rather than time, often exploring ratio before grind tweaks, likely due to my choices in beans and roast level.

Cyberness
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Cyberness »

Like already been said, it depends on the beans, and even same beans can give different results based on their freshness. I think, your question is based on widespread opinion that conical burr grinders do not require redialing when switching the beans. I found this be not true, since I have Niche, which is conical grinder, and I have to adjust my grind size when switch between different beans.

mgwolf (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by mgwolf (original poster) »

Thank you for comments, but I was really looking for the number of seconds the shot time might change for one mark on the dial. I know that shot times vary from day to day and that different coffees pull differently. I'm trying to figure out what people's experiences with their Niche are in seconds per mark. Thanks.

Cyberness
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Cyberness »

OK, I just tried it with these beans - https://www.blackwhiteroasters.com/prod ... eyi-washed
On setting #7.5, 16g in, 42g out it took 42s with E61 9 bar profile, short pre-infusion.
On setting #9, 16g in, 42g out it took 37s with E61 9 bar profile, short pre-infusion.

I don't know how helpful it is. But I don't mind to check with other beans and recipes.

stephenmsis

#7: Post by stephenmsis »

I have to dial in different beans. I also have to make adjustments as I work my way through a bag of beans. It's a constant tune up.

Advertisement
mgwolf (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by mgwolf (original poster) »

Thank you Alex.