Single espresso problems with Lelit Anna

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Javier Herranz

#1: Post by Javier Herranz »

Hi everyone,
I've been trying to pull a decent single shot of espresso that matches my double shots during 2 weeks, adjusting all parameters I could, without success.

Equipment, measurements and techniques
- Machines: Lelit Anna PL41EM + Eureka mignon specialità
- Tamp: I try to stick to the same firm tamp every shot, using the plastic tamper included with the Lelit (I've just acquired a new decent steel tamper)
- Coffee characteristics (described in the package): Brasil 100% arabic, natural roast, 1'15% caffeine, 1300m height, dry process, roast date 18/05/21 (I've been drinking it from 28/05 to 17/06). I guess it is a dark roast. Flavor chararcteristics: mild flavor, slightly sweet with a long aftertaste. Intense aroma and full bodied
- Experience: I bought Lelit Anna 3 months ago and I upgraded to Eureka Mignon Specialità 1 month ago. I've been reading a lot of espresso and Lelit topics in HB and watching all James Hoffman espresso guide videos :mrgreen:. I started monitoring the grind size, the grams of beans and ground coffee, the grams of extracted liquid, the ratio, the time of extraction (starting when I press the on-switch), pre-extraction tim, pressure, distribution and other techniques (like Ross Droplet Technique), taste (1 * to 3 ***) and flavors.

Double shots
After tunning the mentioned adjustments I got consistent "good" espresso shots: tasty, full-bodied, no particular disgusting taste, some crema (not that much), and sometimes: some chocolate aroma, sweet aftertaste, or some light acid and bitter pleasant aroma.
Example parameters of good shots:
- Grind size 4, 14g ground coffe, 63g extraction, 1:4'5 ratio, 31'' (seconds)
- Grind size 3'25, 14g ground coffe, 47g extraction, 1:3'35 , 30'', 8.3 bar, Ross Droplet Technique (RDT)
- Grind size 3'15, 14g ground coffe, 37'5g extraction, 1:2'67 , 25'', 8.5 bar, Weiss Distribution Technique (WDT), Stockfleth Method (SM), Ross Droplet Technique (RDT)
- Grind size 3, 15g ground coffe, 28,35g extraction, 1:1'89 , 30'', 9 to 8'4 bar, WDT, SM, RDT
- Grind size 3, 16g ground coffe, 25,86g extraction, 1:1'61 , 30'', 9'2 to 8'5 bar, WDT, SM, RDT

Single shots:
During 15 days I've done a similar process (doing small coffe tasting changing 1 parameter to compare results) with much more adjustments and I've got inconsistent results, from bad to acceptable shots with few exceptions, sometimes fullbodied, sometimes upseting acid and/or bitter flavor, sometimes very plain, and when I get some pleasant flavors they are very subtle and difficult to identify. And I've never approached to the beautiful (and small quantity of) crema and the full-bodied shots I got with my double doses .

Examples:
- Grind size 2.5, 8g ground coffe, 26g extraction, 1:3'25, time: 3" pre-infusion and 25'' total, 9 to 8'5 bar, WDT, RDT (I cant use Stockfleth Method in single dose because I can reach it with my finger), result bad shot
- Grind size 2, 8g ground coffe, 18.86g extraction, 1:2'35, 4" pre / 25" total, 9'5 to 8'8 bar, WDT, RDT, result almost bad shot
- Grind size 1.9, 7g ground coffe, 15.5g extraction, 1:2'21, 3" pre / 25" total, 9'5 to 8'8 bar, WDT, RDT, result rich full-bodied good shot
- Grind size 1.9, 7g ground coffe, 25g extraction, 1:3'57, WDT, result light flavor, light chocolate aroma, acceptable shot
- Then I went down in grind size from 1.9 to 1, ratios 1: from 2 to 1:1 and obtaining almost bad to acceptable shots.

P.S.: After finishing my 1 kg Brasilian coffee I've bought some Ethiopian coffee, light-medium roast and restarted the process with double dose, getting immediately much greater results: rich body, very complex and tasty aroma, I can easily identify a peachy, citric taste (surprisingly pleasant, as I didn't previously like acidic coffees) and some sweet and light bitterness (also pleasant).

yakster
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by yakster »

Try lowering the temperature for singles since there's less coffee to bring the water temp down.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

jgood

#3: Post by jgood »

You're not the only one - singles are problematic if you're dialed in for a great double. But then, who needs em?

Javier Herranz (original poster)

#4: Post by Javier Herranz (original poster) »

Thanks a lot! Anyway I'm going to stick to muy doubles.

I have some temperature questions:

How can I adjust temperature in my Leltit?
I read how to raise it using temp surfing (Pulling shots with Lelit PL041)
How can I lower it? Should I turn on the machine and let it heat shorter time? Would 5 minutes be fine?

I've read I should use lower temperature when using light-medium roasted coffees. Am I right? If not, how should I properly use temperature, depending on coffee roast and grind setting? Can I use temp to obtain sweeter shots?

Thanks again :D

jgood

#5: Post by jgood »

jgood wrote:You're not the only one - singles are problematic if you're dialed in for a great double. But then, who needs em?
Agreed -- it's better to get set up for doubles and not add a problematic variable.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#6: Post by baldheadracing »

I have a Mokita, a machine that uses the same group as your Lelit, and I wouldn't bother with using single baskets. I found it an exercise in frustration :cry:.

FWIW, I prefer the Ascaso 'precision' 14g basket part# I.280 over the stock Lelit double basket
https://www.bluestarcoffee.eu/ascaso-57 ... -579-p.asp (link for pic; I have no experience with this vendor. As you are in Madrid, Ascaso parts should be available locally ...)
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Javier Herranz (original poster)

#7: Post by Javier Herranz (original poster) »

thanks very much! I will try it