Doserless to doser and back again... the debate continues - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.

Which type of grinder do you prefer?

Doser
37%
Doserless
52%
No preference
11%

Total votes: 90

RAS

#11: Post by RAS »

I've been researching the Macap doserless for a while now, and can't seem to get answers to a few questions. Specifically, how much coffee stays in the exit chute and dispensing tube when finished grinding for espresso? If there's a good amount, how tough is it to get out? Got any tips to pass along on the general use of this machine?

I know it's billed as a bulk grinder and really isn't intended as a per-shot grinder (hence the lack of a PF holder), but this one looks like it could be ideal for my situation. As it is now, my Cunill is in the garage due to its... fine looks. I think I may be able to get my wife to give me a little more counterspace for the Macap. It seems to have a smaller footprint if the catch tray is removed (can it be?), and it would sit nicely next to my Andreja Premium.

Thanks for your help!
Bob

Worldman

#12: Post by Worldman »

RAS,

You raise some good points...someof which I never noticed such as the lack of PF fork.

My "guess" is that not too much stays in the chute because it is:
1. short
2. well angled
3. smooth.

But, I have no experience with the Macap and have never seen one in the flesh.

Len

Advertisement
RAS

#13: Post by RAS »

Len,

Good observations, but I sure would like to see one of these to confirm. My biggest reservation (I'm that close to ordering one) is that 1st-Line considers this a commercial grinder, and offers no buyer's remorse return option. Sure don't want to get stuck with a $400 grinder that doesn't perform well in a measure-&-grind-per-shot mode.
Bob

malachi

#14: Post by malachi »

Many bulk coffee grinders do not offer a fine enough granularity of adjustment for use with espresso (as a caution).
What's in the cup is what matters.

RAS

#15: Post by RAS »

I think this one should be OK... Or at least as "OK" as a stepped grinder can be. It's just a Macap M4 without the doser.
Bob

Worldman

#16: Post by Worldman »

Ras,

I believe that you are correct and that it is merely an M4 without doser. However, as you said, it sure would be nice if someone would confirm its suitability for espresso.

Len

Woofy

#17: Post by Woofy »

A properly designed doserless grinder can be great provided the grinder is fast and the number of shots pulled back to back are going to be relatively few. Otherwise, the inconvenience of standing in front of the grinder for each shot outweighs the gain of slightly fresher coffee for most, including myself. If I HAD to go doserless, the doserless-modified Super Jolly's combination of adjustability and grinding output would be about the minimum I'd be able to live with.

Honestly, if freshness is THAT important, roasting your own (with some practice) will provide a far more sustantial improvement of what's in your cup than any difference between grinding-then-dosing vs. grinding directly into the portafilter. And the increased understanding of varietal coffee characteristics, handing and blending gained from roasting your own will assure you'll always get the best in your cup, regardless of how the coffee exits your grinder.

Advertisement
Worldman

#18: Post by Worldman »

Woofy wrote:Honestly, if freshness is THAT important, roasting your own (with some practice) will provide a far more sustantial improvement of what's in your cup than any difference between grinding-then-dosing vs. grinding directly into the portafilter. And the increased understanding of varietal coffee characteristics, handing and blending gained from roasting your own will assure you'll always get the best in your cup, regardless of how the coffee exits your grinder.
Woof,

I think we can safely 'assume' that we are all taking the proper action(s) toward coffee roast freshness. The subject here regards doser vs. doser-less.

You do make some good points about "the increased understanding of varietal coffee characteristics, handing and blending" which I, as a non-roaster, find intriguing. I buy my beans straight from the local roaster within 1 day of their being roasted - but can see that many of you home roasters have a much greater understanding of the different beans vs. roast profile vs. blends that I just can't grasp.

Len

adimperial

#19: Post by adimperial »

I have had a Rocky Doser and a Doserless, and a Mazzer Mini as well. Comparing the Rocky doser to the Rocky doserless, there is much less mess with the doser model and you can use a chopstick to clean out the chute, whereas on the doserless model, it's much more challenging. There is definitely clumping on the doserless while no clumping on doser. I tried that klickklack lid on the doserless, but that just made grinds fly all over the place. (no I didn't try that ridiculous looking yogurt cup mod on the portafilter). Also when doing the whole grind, distribute, tamp routine, after distributing grounds in pf, you can swipe them into the doser instead of the trash can or bowl with the doserless. Finally, with doser you don't have to stand there and wait while it's grinding, holding the button down. If you do get the doserless rocky, take out the switch, and remove the spring so you don't have to hold it down (don't do all the rewiring that you see online). The doser model doesn't do a great job at sweeping all the grounds clean from the doser, but there are mods for that.
I guarantee if you had the Rocky doser and doserless side by side for a month, you'd choose the doser. I wanted so much to like the doserless model due to its looks, but I couldn't do it.

The Mazzer Mini does a far superior job of sweeping the grinds from the doser compared to the Rocky doser.