I've stopped rinsing my V60 and KONO filters

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
baldheadracing
Team HB

#1: Post by baldheadracing »

I've been watching Kasuya Tetsu on IG and he seems to never rinse his V60 filters. This seems also true of many Japanese coffee shokunin. ("Shokunin" is usually translated as "artisan," but the concept is hard to translate into English in a single word. https://medium.com/@yoursproductly/jiro ... b2a082a5af )

So I wondered if I could taste a difference.

Yes: If I "brewed" a half-dozen filter papers by immersion in 210F water for a few minutes, then the water tastes different. (Original factory V60 filters.)

No, if I poured 210F water through a single filter paper in the dripper and compared an unrinsed paper vs. a rinsed and dried filter paper.

So I tried actual brewing. I couldn't taste any difference in my usual V60 recipe of 19g 'Nordic-light' roast of 87+ wet process coffee ground on an OE Apex or Fuji Royal R-440; with 320g of 210F quite soft water. (I heat up the dripper by using the dripper as the lid of my boiling kettle so I don't need to pour hot water for that purpose.)

I'm not saying that there isn't a difference, but if I can't taste a difference, then I'm not bothering anymore :wink: .
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Yan

#2: Post by Yan »

In old days I saw Nick Cho also not always pre-wet the paper filter either, when I flush my white kalita paper with boiling water it's smells like cardboard box, I never compare the flush or no flush kalita paper just an old habits to warm the mug/cup at the same time, btw I am using the plastic Kalita Wave 185 by Tiamo so no need to warm the dripper either...
Maybe I will try not to pre-wet the filter in the future...

yakster
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by yakster »

I think the coffee to filter ratio comes in to play too. I never rinse the filters I use in my BraZen coffee maker because I'm brewing larger batches, but if I brew a single cup with a Kalita Wave filter I'll rinse. I tried one week without rinsing after reading Nick Cho's recommendation that rinsing wasn't needed but I picked up some papery astringency when I didn't rinse so I went back to rinsing.

It's worth trying to see if you can taste a difference or not. If you can't taste a difference there's a good reason not to rinse, just to save water.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

mkane
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by mkane »

No rinsing here either. I heat the dripper on top of the kettle.

I use a tree for number 1 also. Living in the sticks has it's advantages.

baldheadracing (original poster)
Team HB

#5: Post by baldheadracing (original poster) »

And, of course, Hario just released a video of Kasuya Tetsu demonstrating their new Mugen dripper, which, if I understand correctly, is meant to be used with a paper filter that is pre-wet in the dripper :roll:. (Video in Japanese, 4:30 long)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52ZngRXMklk

(The pouring method in the video was previously shown in development here: 'New' Tetsu Kasuya V60 method (with [VIDEO]) )
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada