Packing and shipping 70lb espresso machine - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
pfa (original poster)

#11: Post by pfa (original poster) »

Randy G. wrote:Double boxed and strapped onto a mini pallet and use a trucking company. Other than driving it there yourself, that is the most secure way.
What's "mini pallet"? I haven't got any quotes from trucking companies, but I'd imagine shipping Seattle-NY would cost me more than the machine itself.
Nunas wrote:Don't forget to take the feet off
Huh, that's great idea, thanks!
Chrikelnel wrote:One thing to consider is that if you let UPS pack it, they'll take responsibility if it gets damaged during shipment. Otherwise they'll say it wasn't packed to their standards and deny a claim.
Yep, that's exactly why I like the idea of them packing it (that and also laziness of course)
ira wrote:Be careful, the odds they know how to pack it are slim, it's possible they think a big box with bubble wrap and foamies is adequate. The basic insurance is only $100, make sure you're covered for the sale price if it's damaged. Also, try calling a dealer and see if they have an original box they can sell you.
walr00s wrote:Worked for FedEx as a package sorter for a few months many years ago...most of my coworkers got the job through their PO. You don't want anything that has the potential to break going through those facilities.
Hmm I guess FedEx is out of the picture. Thanks!
apoopoo999 wrote:Taking the feet off or using thick thick foam under the machine is the best advice here. I shipped many machines and I use 2" high density foam on all sides and one super thick one for the bottom (with cut outs for the feet to rest in or take the feet off) secure everything with blue tape to the machine (lids, drip tray, wand, electrical cord) and definitely double box it. Double boxing doesn't mean just putting it in 2 boxes. The first box is packed as described above and the second box is 5-8" larger than the first box in all directions. Line the bottom with some packing peanuts. Place the first box inside then fill the voids with more packing peanuts.
Thanks for the details. Where do you foam sheets/peanuts - Uhaul or some specialized places?

harleyujoe

#12: Post by harleyujoe »

The other thing I forgot to mention was my speakers were wrapped in t shirts to prevent scratched finish ...
So another added protection you could add..

Advertisement
ira
Team HB

#13: Post by ira »

I will also point out that the things most people think of as packing material won't work when dealing with a 70 pound block of metal. If you think about how heavy things come, it's usually in molded Styrofoam or some else that's seemingly almost non-yielding. It's probably more important that essentially nothing can move, at least in the inner box. Movement will commonly cause more damage than anything else. Between the inner and outer box padding makes sense, but make sure it won't squash under the weight of the machine.

Ira

SteveRhinehart

#14: Post by SteveRhinehart »

Here's a good example of a mini pallet with good shipping protection: https://www.statesofmatter.com/la-marzo ... -packaging
The outer brown box is strapped to the pallet itself. These are also usually shipped with Do Not Stack cones strapped on to the top, I believe.

When I got my Quick Mill last year it clocked in around 70 lbs as well, but it was shipped double boxed. Chris Coffee had a piece of high density foam beneath the machine, the body itself was wrapped in plastic bag, and then the void was filled with expanding foam packing blocks. That interior box was packed into a heavier duty shipping box with high density foam blocks on each corner. It arrived safely and from what I could tell it was never moved or stored on its side. The outer box had stickers designating it a heavy item, advising which side be on top, and it had handles cut into the side.

For a little extra you can add a drop sensor or tilt sensor to the package. This won't prevent damage, but shippers know what they mean and tend to treat things a little more carefully when they're present.

If shipping in cardboard, I'd look into using reinforced or heavy duty packaging tape. A heavier box will add more wear to the taped surfaces as they are dragged and slid around on belts and floors so it's wise to use something designed for a bit more abuse.

denkigroove
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by denkigroove »

If you can pack it yourself and want a discounted shipping rate, may I suggest trying out ShipNerd. They're a shipping broker with UPS/Fedex/DHL. They're kinda like a priceline but for shipping. I've used them countless times and always been happy with the savings.

The way it works is you start with estimated shipping quote based on zip code and package size and weight. Then they provide a list of shipping quotes (ie ground, express, overnight, etc) and you pick one. The shipping company isn't revealed until you complete your purchase with the final price after entering the exact address and weight sizes. Then you print out the ship label and drop off at the revealed shipper.