Mazzer Robur owners: What's your cleaning protocol? - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
eastpresso

#21: Post by eastpresso »

Update

I tried to put some chopsticks in between the burrs. but ended up with the good old chute method. If you know which way the bolt unscrews (counterclockwise) it actually does not need a lot of force. For tightening I held the lower burr with a cloth (I will check on it later on to make sure it's still tight).

Here's what I used to change the burrs. You will need a 13mm wrench for the lower burr and a 3mm (inside) for the upper burr

Everything is pretty straightforward, after reinstalling and aligning the bottom burr parts, the spline needs to go in last:

One 'problem' After changing the upper burrs they are not flush with the burr carrier anymore :roll:

Old version

New version

The design (outer edge, old one is on the left) has changed which may or may not be the cause of the above problem, I guess it's just manufacturing tolerances:

Thanks everyone for your input, let me know if you find any errors and I will edit the above. Now I need to run off and buy some old beans :mrgreen:

gyro

#22: Post by gyro »

If you haven't already put it all back together, can you please snap a close up pic of the coarse grinding area on the upper burrset. Mine were in shocking condition, particularly the first set. Photos of Nicholas's looked like they were a much nicer finish on them. I would be interested to see what your new ones are like. Something along the lines of this would be great...

Cheers, Chris

eastpresso

#23: Post by eastpresso »

The grinder is back in one piece. However, in anticipation of your request I took these :wink:

gyro

#24: Post by gyro »

Very clever! They look to have a better finish than mine. Will be interested to see how they settle in for you. Cheers, Chris

gyro

#25: Post by gyro »

Oh and how did the Vaseline work on it? I used some generic foodsafe stuff, but either I didn't put enough on or its not very good as the adjustment collar is very difficult to turn. Cheers, Chris

eastpresso

#26: Post by eastpresso »

gyro wrote:Very clever! They look to have a better finish than mine. Will be interested to see how they settle in for you. Cheers, Chris
Experience :wink: No comment on taste for now.. I might take the top burr off to check the edges - sometime. My grinder was used in a cafe which is why I chose to replace them, as they're supposed to be good for 1.5 tons or so I think I can safely say that I will not change them again :lol:
gyro wrote:Oh and how did the Vaseline work on it? I used some generic foodsafe stuff, but either I didn't put enough on or its not very good as the adjustment collar is very difficult to turn. Cheers, Chris
The vaseline is for the bolts, I applied a tiny amount to the top burr threads as well. The back pressure of the springs is what makes turning them difficult, applying grease won't help much. Make sure you clean the threads well next time.

Here are two more pictures before cleaning. IMHO the amount of old coffee under the carrier is negligible.