HX Heaven or 1½ Boiler - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
GC7

#11: Post by GC7 »

Ian

I have no idea how the PID is calibrated or setup. I left it exactly as Dave sent it to me.

I recall a discussion I read during my brousing/learning stage here where PID settings were altered to "improve" shot to shot consistency at lower boiler temps but I thought the end result was that it is not reeproducible.

GC7

#12: Post by GC7 »

I pulled a couple of nice shots at 233* today (grouphead temp of 198* on the thermometer).

I heated the glass with a couple of oz. of H20 and then grind, dose and pulled the shot. The first in the morning was Sweet Maria Liquid Amber Espresso 1.5-2 oz and this evening a ristretto of a FC roast of Ethiopia Idido Misty Valley. I think I'll try 1 degree warmer tomorrow.

Ian - here is a photo of my PID setup. Not sure what it tells you (certaily not its setting other then temp)but comments are welcome.

cafeIKE (original poster)

#13: Post by cafeIKE (original poster) »

Nice install. I was just curious if you'd done your own tuning and what you'd come up with.

Two years of e61 HX PID futzing have shown me a huge range of parameters return acceptable results.

Ignore the numbers and enjoy the espresso!

GC7

#14: Post by GC7 »

Thanks Ian

I have MANY things to futz with before I play with PID parameters where I have no idea what factor(s) each control. I'll learn my basic barasta techniques for now.

The 234* shots were a tad more bitter then the others so I will go a hair lower and see the results.

uscfroadie
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by uscfroadie »

Geoffrey,

Just curious...from your post it seems as if you are an espresso drinker more than a cappa guy. If so, why did you opt for Dave's PID'd Anita over his Alexia? I ask because I toyed around with the idea of a PID'd Anita or Andreja as a possible upgrade to my Alexia.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Merle

cafeIKE (original poster)

#16: Post by cafeIKE (original poster) »

Merle, I had a single boiler with electronic control and investigated single boiler machines like Zaffiro before deciding a PID HX has all the advantages and none of the drawbacks.

GC7

#17: Post by GC7 »

Merle

I spent some time contemplating what machine to purchase and a number of factors came into play one of which is my ignorance of the whole topic :roll:

I read as much as I could about the various types of machines and the reviews of individual machines. The PID control of the boiler to me is a much more precise and quich way to regulate temperature and I guessed that the PID would have a lower failure rate (pressurestats from what I've read fail at a n alarming rate). The temperature stability and ability to change temperatures on the fly lets me pull shots without flushing as the topic of this thread implies. So, in that sense I can make the Anita into a pseudo 1 boiler and get good espresso.

In my reading I also liked the idea that using flushes and especially with Erics temperature probe thermometer for E61 groupheads I could easily vary my brew temperature and possibly even the profile. I can't say my skills are up to taking advantage of this capabibility of the HX but I like the idea that it is a flexible setup (in theory).

Finally, my fiance likes her cappas and we MUST keep the women of the house happy! :lol: We both love to cook and have company for dinner so the throughput capabilites came into play as well as my guests' might want milk based drinks too. I thought hard and actually at first selected the Alexia but in the end those factors, the small increase/difference in price and the thoguth that I did not want to feel the need to "upgrade" any time in the at least near future led to my selection of the PID'ed Anita. I'm happy so far but I have A LOT to learn. Good to know the knowledgable folks here on HB are willing to help!

Hope this helps.

uscfroadie
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by uscfroadie »

Geoffrey and Ike,

Thanks for the replies. I won't be upgrading until I move back to the US in January, so I still have time to ponder. In the interim, I have a Gaggia Factory 16 on the way which I could use on the rare occasions that I have friends over and need to make many milk drinks back-to-back. I figure I can use the Gaggia to steam while the Alexia brews the espresso. In essence this makes a double boiler, albeit in two separate machines. :D
Merle