How long before you upgraded from a Rancilio Silvia-class espresso machine? - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.

How long before you upgraded from a Rancilio Silvia-class espresso machine?

0-6 months
17%
6-12 months
18%
1-2 years
20%
3 years or more
27%
No upgrade or other (explain)
18%

Total votes: 153

Java Man

#11: Post by Java Man »

4 years.
Java Man
A.K.A. Espressopithecus

Beezer

#12: Post by Beezer »

I upgraded less than one year after getting my Gaggia Classic, which I consider to be in more or less the same class as a Silvia. However, I did have a Gaggia Espresso for several years prior to that, and was reasonably happy with it. So if you count the Espresso, then it was probably six years or so before I upgraded.
Lock and load!

zin1953

#13: Post by zin1953 »

As I indicated in the prior thread, I had started with a Pavoni Europiccola level machine back in 1976 as my first introduction into making my own espresso drinks. After five years or so of being frustrated by burning myself on the boiler, of not being able to make everyone coffee when company came over (i.e.: couldn't add more water to the tank unless cool, shots were too hot when pulled in succession), and of dealing with its finicky temperament, I moved to my Coffee Gaggia sometime in 1981 (replacing the first with a second one about a decade on). In the intervening 25+ years, I have used my Gaggia virtually everyday.

In late 2006, I moved up to an HX machine (La Valentina) for my home, and late last year acquired an old Olympia Cafferex for my office.

Cheers,
Jason
A morning without coffee is sleep. -- Anon.

fflewddur

#14: Post by fflewddur »

I bypassed the whole upgrade thing. My first 'home' espresso machine was my faema 2 group. I picked up a gaggia factory for work in January.

mike

#15: Post by mike »

Randy G. wrote:Sounds like Andy's FrankenSilvia.
Steaming a pain? Just get another Silvia! :lol:
Indeed. Inspired by Andy's and Greg's machines, much of the modification done at the labs of Verna Designs (I'm still roasting beans for Lino to pay back his excellent work!). Andy even consulted on a couple of problems I ran into.

cappadoc

#16: Post by cappadoc »

Started with *$ barista for 6 months, then jumped straight to La Spaz.
Skipped Silvia class altogether. :)

jesawdy

#17: Post by jesawdy »

I've got a lot of toys, but for the moment, Silvia still sits in the kitchen. We've come to terms with one another and understand each other (usually). It is PID temp controlled but otherwise stock (OPV "adjusted"). I do wish that it was a bit gentler to the bed of coffee. My solution to this problem is an underdosed large basket (i.e. 15-16 grams in a Synesso 18 gram ridgeless, quasi-triple basket).
Jeff Sawdy

mike

#18: Post by mike replying to jesawdy »

Not that I'm trying to hijack a thread, but that has interested me. I am getting a lot fewer fractures with my new rotary pump and adjustable water debit, with really the water debit adjustment being the key factor to avoiding the channeling. Yet, when I google to see what Andy measured for debit on the vibe, it was reasonable at 90ml/10s. I recall that mine "looked" faster than that before I converted. Would somebody measure the debit real fast on a stock Silvia? I'm tending to recommend people not go the hassle of an external rotary, and if the debit on the vibe is too high, that might be relatively easy to adjust with a bit of plumbing work inside the machine.

poison

#19: Post by poison »

cappadoc wrote:Started with *$ barista for 6 months, then jumped straight to La Spaz.
Skipped Silvia class altogether. :)
I like the way you think! :D

bukaeast

#20: Post by bukaeast »

Skipped Silvia class too. Too many posts on the delicacy of trying to get a consistently precise shot.
Went from a Gaggia Baby to a Pasquini Livietta that I had to clean up and out. Never hesitated. :D