Is your espresso habit unhealthy? - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
majorzx3

#11: Post by majorzx3 »

since I got my Brewtus (1 month ago), I have been drinking way too much espresso and wasting a lot of milk :-)
I now drink about 5x the amount I used to ....
I just went through 5 lbs of beans in 2 weeks.
I can barely type this out, i shake so much. I wish I could stop. I can see this ending badly for someone. I hope its not me :-)
Zed

Psyd

#12: Post by Psyd »

majorzx3 wrote:
I can barely type this out, i shake so much. I wish I could stop. I can see this ending badly for someone. I hope its not me :-)
This is about time time I should introduce you to the magic of decaf. It is a simple process that allows you to continue to drink the wonderful warm auburn nectar of the gods long after you've reached your personal caffeine intake limit.
After all, if we were in it for the just the buzz, we'd be taking the pills.
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

cannonfodder
Team HB

#13: Post by cannonfodder »

Caffeine does not bother me, ya, ya ya, more more, why are my fingers numb and eyes wobbling in my head, Ooooo pretty colors on my computer, what was that, the sky is blue today, did I mention that I have a high tolerance for caffeine, hay this soda tastes like coffee, mmmm coffee flavored donuts, why do you park in a drive way and drive on a parkway, I like coffee, spoon.....

:shock: :lol:
Dave Stephens

majorzx3

#14: Post by majorzx3 »

:D
Ok , It's not as bad as I made it out to be. I am actually very surprised at how much I'm able to tolerate caffeine now. I can drink 3-4 doubles and not really getting bothered by it. Before I'd drink a cup o'joe and get the shakes.
Somehow I can't bring myself to drink decaf. I am still learning to use the Brewtus, maybe after all my shots have been extremely good I'll try some good decaf.
I still have a few things to learn. Especially steaming milk. But I'm taking it slow. Will get there one day :-)

Zed

cannonfodder
Team HB

#15: Post by cannonfodder »

FYI, a cup of coffee has more caffeine than a double shot of espresso. Caffeine is water soluble. The short percolation time of espresso (28 seconds) extracts far less caffeine than the 3 minute percolation time of brew or press pot coffee.
Dave Stephens

Rainman

#16: Post by Rainman »

Well- since it's "semi-serious". I admit that I cannot live without coffee/espresso or at least some sort of caffeine vehicle. Work just wouldn't be the same. I actually tried it, once, in 1993 (I actually remember the year, it was so traumatic). All I could do was stare at the CRT.. went back to my habit within 3-4 days. Mind you- it's not much, only 2-4 hits/day, but I can't function without it. I probably could figure out a way to deal with life without it, but it definitely gets me out the door to do whatever: run/ride/swim/work/deal with other humans. At least I know "when to say when"- unlike some of you out there, downing 12, 14, 18 shots/day!

I'd have to say that at my level, there'd be only eyebrow raising going on between my friends and family, because of the "pickiness factor" only. As far as "unhealthiness" going on- not to my knowledge- and I stay fairly abreast of nearly all medical literature on the subject; it must be by far, the most healthy of all vices I've developed over the years (cycling, perhaps the worst in my case).

In Chris's case (he's a neighbor, so I've had occasion to see him up close and personal)- he's got to be just naturally wired- I think because he spends so much time in close proximity to loads of electronics.. Not sure how well he sleeps (on top of all that caffeine), but he probably can't afford to, what with all of the travelling and all.

And that guy in the video just had to say "hazelnut"-- The bane of American productivity-- caffeine, no matter the flavor! I have to agree w/ Ken, though- that last scene in the teens bedroom is the best!

Ray
LMWDP #18

HB (original poster)
Admin

#17: Post by HB (original poster) »

Per Henry's suggestion, follow-on discussion split to Coffee and other medicinal herbs...
Dan Kehn

Psyd

#18: Post by Psyd »

Rainman wrote: In Chris's case (he's a neighbor, so I've had occasion to see him up close and personal)- he's got to be just naturally wired- I think because he spends so much time in close proximity to loads of electronics.. Not sure how well he sleeps (on top of all that caffeine), but he probably can't afford to, what with all of the travelling and all.
I'm naturally enthusiastic. If I was an elementary school kid today, I'd be getting doses of Ritalin. I do sleep fine, though, as I keep the caffeine intake down. It's one of the reasons I went toward espresso in the first place. I wasn't going to give up coffee, just the constancy of having a cup in my claw every moment of the day. So, I decided, if I'm just going to have one or two a day, it had better be the best one or two that I can get my claws on. Enter espresso! Better than coffee, and less caffeine! Anytime I want to stray form the one or two a day, I'd better be doing a sixteen or eighteen hour workday, or leaning toward the decaf.
Decaf is a gift from the gods. Nearly all the wonders of espresso (especially if you hide it in a cappu) and almost none of the jitters.
I don't have an intake problem, but half of my friends think I'm obsessive, the other half just think that I should open a cafe.
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

Spresso_Bean

#19: Post by Spresso_Bean »

I don't really drink as much as many here do, usually 2-3 doubles in the morning and maybe some press coffee in the early evening, but I am drinking my first few shots of the day right now (after 4 pm) and I have a massive headache that I'm hoping will go away soon. People still think it's odd that I roast my own coffee and drink straight espresso, but I'm ok with that. They don't know how good it can be...oh well, more for me.

Wescott

#20: Post by Wescott »

No. No problem at all. And what's more, I'm one of those who can take a double, or even two of them, before bedtime as a nightcap. Those are my favorite coffees of the day.

I'd have to say that coffee is not addictive because overload makes one back off and not want even more. (In the old days, it would take a triplet of press pots over a couple of hours to get me overloaded.)