Espresso Cart - Goodbye Plumbed In - Page 9

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
OK31
Supporter ♡

#81: Post by OK31 »

CarefreeBuzzBuzz wrote:The reason I did this is I wanted 96% certainty on my water. If Poland gives you water that works for you then you have that option. I almost went with a 5 gallon solution but the availability of tubes to use were limited. Cafewerks now sells one I think. If you can find good water in a 5 gallon size and a reliable pump go for it and post it here. Just not the Flowjet 5000. You need to make sure it's not going to cycle on each shot. That's why there is an accumulator in the system I use.
Interesting, is Poland spring not widely available in AZ? LM highly recommends bottled and after a lot of discussions here and with LM staff it sounds like that's the more simple approach although I hate the idea of buying water vs using tap. In any case Clive coffee has a video for this setup and suggests no need for accumulator unless using multiple devices so are they just going for simple as can be? Accumulator I suspect would give me close to or exactly what line pressure would be for duration of use? It's a fairly sensible solution and I'm sure helps avoid unnecessary hiccups. Sounds like I should account for some check/shutoff valves at every junction to easily service the parts but does that not impact pressure somewhere along the way? I'm imagining flojet/pump to check valve into accumulator to check valve to some length of line to shutoff then to machine? The shutoff there would allow water to remain in line to machine but allow disconnect from the rest of system. Check valves will prevent flow back but does one work better than the other (check vs shut)?

CarefreeBuzzBuzz (original poster)

#82: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz (original poster) »

I don't know if Poland Spring water is available here. What I do know is that it only takes me about seven minutes to make enough water to last 2 1/2 months. If my hooligan cats aren't around it's probably only four minutes. To me that consistency and ease makes it an easy decision. If you want to chat through your choices send me your contact information in a private message.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

#83: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz (original poster) »

Hooligan supervision of the water changing process. I am careful to make sure they (brother wasn't here yet) stay away from the tank and that takes me longer. Otherwise it works well.

As to using a 5 gallon container - Yes do it if you can find acceptable water.
You may still need an accumulator.
Get this adapter tube from Caffewerks with a built in check valve. They have other parts that may be of interest to you, including a 7 gallon tank.

Artisan.Plus User-

OK31
Supporter ♡

#84: Post by OK31 »

Haha priceless, quality assurance at its best can't be mad there.

Yes Poland spring is widely available in 5 gal and I was considering just getting the whole setup from caffewerks which includes the pump accumulator check valve and tubing. In terms of pressure at the machine no issues right? Thinking if LM introduced line preinfusion it would be a nice to have with plumb.

Liverbird_8

#85: Post by Liverbird_8 »

Any alternatives to the watts LF560g? I can't find it in stock. Was going to get the clive/chris coffee regulator but people on here aren't conviced of its quality.

Edit: Bought the same regulator without the gauge (LF560) for $10 more. I will pair it with a winters gauge that cost me $11.

Rerona

#86: Post by Rerona »

Aloha, before I pull the trigger on going this route, I wanted to make sure I get the right things in my shopping list.

Flojet BW5000
Pentair Shurflo Accumulator tank 182-200
5 Gallon Tank
Pressure Regulator (I have the same one from the Clive Homeland Water Filtration Kit already)

Is there anything else required? I'm trying to go for a slightly more minimal setup, I don't have a lot of space, so want to go with the minimum required and can expand if I feel the need to do so. My machine is a Expobar Brewtus with rotary pump and has pre-infusion.

drH

#87: Post by drH »

Is there any reason not to just buy a kit like this?

https://caffewerks.com/collections/inst ... 3021702191

#88: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz (original poster) »

I am not a fan of Flojet 5000 products but they may be ok now. Years ago they had issues but also note the 1/4 tube mixed with the 3/8. I don't like that. I do know the Aquatec pumps have been very reliable. Why was your choice Flojet. The Caffewerks kits are another option.
Artisan.Plus User-

Rerona

#89: Post by Rerona »

I haven't ordered nor am I attached to the flojet yet, just a consideration since the clive video made it look so simple (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqvIbF4-qgc) and wondering what the benefits are from all the additional steps in-between are. Since they mentioned a accumulator tank is only necessary if you have multiple plumbed in items.

Would the Caffewerks equivelent just be the Water System Pick Up Tube for 5 Gallon Water Bottle and the Aquatec pump? They come out to roughly same price so I can consider that. And can the Plasteel Storage Tank be replaced with the Pentair Shurflo Accumulator tank 182-200?

I'm mainly just trying to keep it space conscious since I live in a 390 sqft studio, my kitchen is very small. Is the caffewerks kit you mention this one? https://caffewerks.com/collections/wate ... mponents-1? If so I haven't really looked at them until now since I thought they wouldn't ship to me with reasonable price (I live in hawaii so I was mainly looking at amazon options).

spressomon

#90: Post by spressomon »

The accumulator will keep the cycling of the pump to a minimum. You don't absolutely have to have it but its nice to stretch out the time between cycling of the pump. Otherwise the pump cycles every time the espresso machine takes up more water.

Analogy: Its the battery in the electrical system of an automobile.
No Espresso = Depresso