Do you adjust grind from double to single espressos? - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Kaffee Bitte

#11: Post by Kaffee Bitte »

CoffeeOwl wrote:Adjustment to a coarser grind for singles is a surprise
(but I've already heard about it)
EDIT: *of a double shot, I haven't yet had a single made by splitting a double at home
A single made by splitting a double will taste just like a double, just less volume.

The coarser grind is a bit strange to me too. I would think it would flow at a faster rate and become quite watery.
Lynn G.
LMWDP # 110

Mark08859

#12: Post by Mark08859 »

I would think the coarser grind would be due to many single baskets being more narrow than their 2x bretheren and having fewer holes. At least on the ones I've seen.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#13: Post by cannonfodder »

But it is relational; I would bet the coffee to basket ratios are near the same. While the dose is less, the basket is smaller in relation. I would guess the difference in taste is from the way the flow progresses through the puck and possibly more/less dissolved solids. I would have to pull a double and single at the same brew ratio and use the TDS meter on it, but that is more work than I want to go through right now.
Dave Stephens

zarko

#14: Post by zarko »

Am I the only one that doesn't change grind?

Mark08859

#15: Post by Mark08859 replying to zarko »

You may be the luckiest person on the forum. :D

I don't know how relational the single basket/reduced dose would be. I would imagine that you'd have to cut the dose in half in order not to go coarser. People certainly reduce the dose when using a single basket. But, is it a 50% reduction?

zarko

#16: Post by zarko »

Mark08859 wrote: I don't know how relational the single basket/reduced dose would be. I would imagine that you'd have to cut the dose in half in order not to go coarser. People certainly reduce the dose when using a single basket. But, is it a 50% reduction?
Yes it's 50% reduction.
Single is too small for me to make on regular basis but it's a good thing to make when you want to experiment. Otherwise you end up with lots of wasted coffee or too much caffeine in the system :D

barry

#17: Post by barry »

zarko wrote:Am I the only one that doesn't change grind?

Nope.

I changed baskets until I found a single basket which matched performance with our double baskets.

jesawdy

#18: Post by jesawdy »

barry wrote:I changed baskets until I found a single basket which matched performance with our double baskets.
Barry, What did that combination of baskets (and dose) turn out to be?
Jeff Sawdy

barry

#19: Post by barry »

Nouvo Simonelli single and La Marzocco double, both updosed a bit.

malachi

#20: Post by malachi »

Updosed?!?!
Philistine!

grin.
What's in the cup is what matters.