What is the purpose of long HX flushes? - Page 4

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
jesawdy

#31: Post by jesawdy »

erics wrote:A potential solution to "long" hx machine flushes - this is the infamous Faema adjustable thermosyphon valve.
Eric, did you order a complete assembly? What did it it set you back?
Jeff Sawdy

erics
Supporter ★

#32: Post by erics »

Jeff -

About $127 but it is a rather nicely machined valve. Unfortunately, the only way the end user can buy this valve is as an assembly.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

Randy G.

#33: Post by Randy G. »

My naivete notwithstanding in this area, but it would seem to me that it would be a simple matter for the manufacturer to design in a wax pellet type thermostat (as in a car) or possibly a bimetallic spring that opens and closes a small shutter door in the brewhead to regulate the thermosyphon flow. An external screw would make it adjustable as well. This seems a better solution since it would be sensing the brewhead temperature itself.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

shadowfax

#34: Post by shadowfax »

Randy, that idea has really been intriguing me. It seems like you really ought to have your cake and eat it too, with an HX, with a valve on the thermosiphon that simply almost closes as the water in the pipe gets too hot, but opens all the way when the water is cool. This could, I would think, easily be designed so that your recovery is fast (the disadvantage to a restrictor), but also such that your grouphead idles as brew temperature, keeping the flushes short.

Honestly, though, my irritation with wasting water on big flushes notwithstanding, I care a lot less than someone that doesn't have a plumbed in driptray... :D
Nicholas Lundgaard

mhoy

#35: Post by mhoy »

Connect a bimetallic spring (or perhaps a PID) to the copper of the HX loop. Use this to enable a relay to open/close a solenoid on the HX loop. Not as nifty as a saturated group or an actively heated group head, but there are a lot of thermosiphon systems out there.

Mark

Randy G.

#36: Post by Randy G. »

shadowfax wrote:Honestly, though, my irritation with wasting water on big flushes notwithstanding, I care a lot less than someone that doesn't have a plumbed in driptray...
I don't need a plumbed drip tray. I have a wife. :shock: ..I hope she doesn't read this forum! :oops:
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done