Removing Super Jolly lower burr carrier - Page 4

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
zubinpatrick

#31: Post by zubinpatrick »

re the bottom bearing holder(plate) there are 2 machine screw holes in the bearing carrier I believe the bolts that hold the lower burr are the same size, if they are long enough you can use them to drive the bearing out, I think I just used them to use as a size ref., and got longer ones from the store (metris). you screw them in the holes of the bearing holder and they press the bearing out.

LGB

#32: Post by LGB »

But to do so I would first have to remove the inbus bolt on top of the burr carrier, right? I cannot get the damn thing to move, probbably it's been sitting there getting tighter for many years now...
"A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems."~A. Rényi

LGB

#33: Post by LGB »

Bumb!

Does anyone know if the inbus bold on top of the lower burr carrier of the Mazzer Major unlocks CW of CCW? I'm anxious to try it, making it tighter isn't going to help me ;-)

I'm guessing CW, but if someone could comfirm this?

LGB

#34: Post by LGB »

Bumb!!!

I'm sorry, still no luck. Is it supposed to be this tight? I blocked the carrier via the chute and almost jammed the inbus tool right through my hand.

HB
Admin

#35: Post by HB »

Retaining bolts are threaded the opposite direction of the expected torque. So if the motor turns clockwise, the bolt securing the gear on the shaft tightens counter-clockwise. Or at least that's how I remember which way to turn it (corrections welcome).

You haven't said why you are removing the bottom carrier, but be careful how you immobilize it. Jamming a screwdriver through the chute to block it may snap off one of the sweep vanes. Better to immobilize it as Paul shows in the prior page.
Dan Kehn

LGB

#36: Post by LGB »

Thank you. I've used Paul's method and finally got the darn thing to give up. There are only light dents in the bottom, probably I can smoothen that.

Why I did it? Well, if you've got a >15 yo Mazzer from Ebay you probably want to get rid of the smelly old coffee beans, don't you? :-D

mhoy

#37: Post by mhoy »

Anyone know if Paul's method will work with a Cimbali Cadet?
Mark