Mazzer Mini Old and New Burrs -- A Macro Look - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
varuscelli_II (original poster)

#11: Post by varuscelli_II (original poster) »

cannonfodder wrote:I was always under the impression that new burrs took a pound or two of coffee to settle in. Any cutting edge needs de-burred after sharpening, that is why you strap a knife or straight razor after sharpening. That removes the little rooster tail from the edge and leaves you with a nice sharp cutting edge.
Ahh, makes sense to me. This is all new territory for me, so I'm sort of feeling my way through as I go (and getting good feedback, which I'm finding highly educational).

I might have to do a revisit of the photo thing a couple of months or so down the line after I've actually put the new burrs through some real coffee grinding and gotten them a bit more . . . broken in.

Thanks, cannonfodder... :wink:

cannonfodder
Team HB

#12: Post by cannonfodder »

I have a Mini with a couple of years use on it in my office. I will have to see if I can get a decent super macro photo from my digital cam. If I can, I will post it just as a point of reference. The Mini is light duty since it is in my office. I would guess a half pound a week but for the first year it was my main home grinder.
Dave Stephens

varuscelli_II (original poster)

#13: Post by varuscelli_II (original poster) replying to cannonfodder »

If you're open to suggestion (and if this isn't old news): To try and make as many elements go in your favor as possible, if you can, take the burrs outdoors and photograph them in good sunlight. It will force the camera (if you're using an automatic mode) to use a high f-stop (small aperture) and you'll get really good depth of field and hopefully nice, clear shots. If you do it indoors and rely on the camera using flash at all you'll have a few things working against you -- flashback potential off the metal, possible low f-stop (large aperture) forced by being in lower light. I find the outdoors thing gives the photographer lots of advantages when doing close-up work. Just some thoughts, anyway, if you're open to suggestions (and of course a lot of it depends on the digital camera you're using). :wink:

Al