My cheap and easy stepless Rancilio Rocky mod... - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
BigFrank

#11: Post by BigFrank »

What is a stepless grinder, and what are its advantages?

TimEggers (original poster)

#12: Post by TimEggers (original poster) replying to BigFrank »

A stepless grinder is one that will allow the adjustment of grind size to be any place on the dial, not a predetermined locking point. Stepless grinders offer the ability to adjust as much or as little as you like and leave the dial in any location, stepped grinders typically have click stop points (for example go from slot 12 to slot 13 but can't stop on 12.5).

Stepless offers the advantage of selecting any grind size. Sometimes in espresso making the smallest adjustment can alter the shot in significant ways. Also many (but not all) stepped grinders offer what some feel to be not fine enough adjustability. Some (and again not all) people have been frustrated because one point will be too coarse and the next available point finer is too fine. With stepless you could just stop somewhere between the two points and get the exact grind you like.
Tim Eggers

LMWDP #202

BigFrank

#13: Post by BigFrank »

I see.

The "step" part was throwing me. I would call that (non)discrete rather than stepless, but I understand now.

Thanks

D-Caffa-nite

#14: Post by D-Caffa-nite »

TimEggers wrote:Well I employed a much simpler set-up:

I also padded the sharp metal edge with a split piece of clear plastic tubing, and for the clamping I am using two stainless steel pipe clamps. The big plus here is that it doesn't look nearly as bad as the huge c-clamp and it doesn't impede the other functionality of the Rocky (such as seeing the number dial).
Thanks for the tip. The implementation was quick and smooth. I also taped additional markings on the dial.

#15: Post by TimEggers (original poster) »

Wow. Nicely done!
Tim Eggers

LMWDP #202

DC

#16: Post by DC »

Tim,

I have copied your mod and found that, at any one grind setting, the Rocky now grinds finer than it did before. Did you find this, or is what I am witnessing just an effect of less movement of the hopper during grinding?

For example, with collar I use 11.5, without I use 10.

Doesn't bother me, I was just interested to know.

Thanks,
Dave

#17: Post by TimEggers (original poster) »

Hi Dave,

As I recall I had to tweak my grind too, but it wasn't an awful lot. I suppose it could be due to a more stable grinding environment lending itself towards more uniform ground particles.
Tim Eggers

LMWDP #202

neohk

#18: Post by neohk »

Hi. It's really impressive for you to think of such a convenient mod :)
i've got a question on the mod, would this mod affect the easy of cleaning the burrs? thanks in advance

#19: Post by TimEggers (original poster) »

No, it shouldn't affect it too much, simply loosen the clamps and remove the hopper as usual.
Tim Eggers

LMWDP #202

psycho_supreme

#20: Post by psycho_supreme »

hey Tim, a fellow CGer!

I love this mod, I checked it out while I was looking at your can roaster to investigate for myself.

-Matt