Bottomless portafilter = more volume - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
jersievers

#11: Post by jersievers »

cannonfodder wrote:I have been mulling around the idea of getting a bottomless PF. Not because of the added 'volume' in the shot but as a diagnostic aid. I have also seen reference to its ability to produce a thicker, buttery mouth feel (bonus!).
I talked with local master today at favorite shop, they liked using the bottomless in their training help with getting tamp right. They also really liked using the bottomless PT as a daily test to see if the automatic settings and grind were correct on their monster 4 head machine.

I have a crazy project zero budget going on in my basement...the bottomless PF I drilled out has really help diagnosing problems...(don't even go there)

Don't for get the fun/different/neat factor.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#12: Post by cannonfodder »

I had mentioned this in a discussion on coffeed.com, I actually prefer the shots pulled from my single spout portafilter over the bottomless. While it is a very good learning tool (I use it when working on a new blend/technique/machine/grinder etc...), my normal go-to portafilter is a single spout. I prefer the texture of the crema better.

The bottomless produces a larger bubble in the crema (using my eye to judge) and gives a different texture. I prefer the finer texture of my single spout; I think I get a silkier texture in the cup. The large bubbles also give the crema artificial thickness vs. the finer textured bubbles of the spouted PF. That could account for most of the volume difference between a spouted and bottomless shot.
Dave Stephens

Psyd

#13: Post by Psyd »

cannonfodder wrote:I have been mulling around the idea of getting a bottomless PF.
Access to a drill press and a 2 1/8 to 2 1/4" hole saw, and you're in business. A coupla DWS to hold the PF top-down on a piece of wood, and center the pilot bit on the spout hole, and thirty seconds later (even on a slow metal speed) your through!
Round off the now sharp edges (careful, they can be sharp enough to draw blood, DAMHIKIJK) and take it to the kitchen!
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

Jasonian

#14: Post by Jasonian »

I think you two must have missed the date that the quoted text was posted.

I even remember Dave's how-to for the naked PF with a drill and/or Dremel, and nothing else.
"Pro" coffee roaster. Ex barista trainer, competitor, consultant.

Psyd

#15: Post by Psyd »

Jasonian wrote:I think you two must have missed the date that the quoted text was posted.
EEK! Yeah, I think that I did. I was wondering..
I never want to see another connect-the-dots kind of bottomless technique again, though. The drill press and the hole saw were so cheap and easy that I could never consider drilling two dozen holes and sawing them together again.
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

cannonfodder
Team HB

#16: Post by cannonfodder »

Yup, it was a little tedious and if I had to do it again, I would use a hole saw, or just buy one. They are readily available for any machine out there now. But I still prefer the spouted PF over the bottomless.
Dave Stephens

Zendel

#17: Post by Zendel »

cannonfodder wrote:I had mentioned this in a discussion on coffeed.com, I actually prefer the shots pulled from my single spout portafilter over the bottomless. While it is a very good learning tool (I use it when working on a new blend/technique/machine/grinder etc...), my normal go-to portafilter is a single spout. I prefer the texture of the crema better.

The bottomless produces a larger bubble in the crema (using my eye to judge) and gives a different texture. I prefer the finer texture of my single spout; I think I get a silkier texture in the cup. The large bubbles also give the crema artificial thickness vs. the finer textured bubbles of the spouted PF. That could account for most of the volume difference between a spouted and bottomless shot.
I am glad someone else noticed this. My friends who I pull shots for think I am insane for noting the difference.

Jasonian

#18: Post by Jasonian replying to Zendel »

I personally think that your insanity puts you in some pretty good company.
"Pro" coffee roaster. Ex barista trainer, competitor, consultant.