What is the most important thing to keep in mind while learning? - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
jrtatl

#11: Post by jrtatl »

My number one piece of advice would be: Taste everything you make, even if you know it will taste bad.

IMHO, the only way to know what good espresso is, is to know what bad espresso can be like. And the only way to figure out what YOU like, is to keep tasting every shot you can get your hands on.

Good luck.
Jeremy

nixter

#12: Post by nixter »

I found when learning (still am, who isn't?) that it seems like you're reading about some new technique that makes or breaks your shots everyday! It could be tamping or grinding or temperature or anything! Basically don't get too focused on one particular thing as it's a little bit of each that counts. There's all these "techniques" out there that I think do more to complicate than help. Do read the various techniques for tamping and such but pay more attention to what their purpose is rather than stressing out when you can't remember if you are supposed to tamp north, south, east, or west first. After a while, as with anything done in repetition, the entire process will become familar and you'll get a better overall picture of what you're doing and what's happening. At this stage you'll be better able to self diagnose what is affecting what and how to improve that sweet nectar.

good luck.

pgreilich

#13: Post by pgreilich »

Buy cheap fresh coffee like from Costco. Right now they have a new Ethiopian Yirgacheffe coffee - two pounds for $10. Freshness being one of the most critical elements; even though its probably not the best coffee blend. The Costco in Plano, Texas where I go actual roasts it there, so the bag is hot on the shelf.

Anyway, that way you can burn through coffee while you are learning without the process burning through your pocket in the process.

HB
Admin

#14: Post by HB »

pgreilich wrote:Buy cheap fresh coffee like from Costco.
If you plan to use "cheap fresh coffee" after the learning stage, I agree. But if you plan to switch to "the good stuff" once you've figured things out, I think it's penny wise and dollar foolish. Realistically a newbie will need no more than a few pounds of coffee to play with and they may as well train their taste buds on their preferred coffee. The cost of that is chump change compared to the investment in the equipment. If you want to economize, order several pounds of a good reliable coffee at once to save on shipping (there are lots of recommendations in the Coffees forum) and pull one pound bags out of the freezer as needed.
Dan Kehn

FC+

#15: Post by FC+ »

Biggest problem I've had is remembering what I did to that last shot. I know the grind, but how much went in the basket? Just how much pressure did I put on that one? Did I have that level or not? Am I sure? I think I did this one the same but it's great and that last one sucked.... It goes on. It's all good.

I like the suggestion to taste everything too.

bobdc

#16: Post by bobdc »

I find my best learning position is with my ears and eyes open and mouth shut. Bill Wilson, a former stockbroker, once wrote, "our greatest enemy is contempt prior to investigation."
Bob

CafSuperCharged

#17: Post by CafSuperCharged »

FC+ wrote:I like the suggestion to taste everything too.
Taste. Taste. Taste.

Regards
Peter
Netherlands
Europe

Grant

#18: Post by Grant »

iflawdya wrote:I have read alot of the guides and faqs is there anything you could say would be the most important thing to keep in mind while learning?
The most important thing to keep in mind.....

How to convince your wife that new grinder would be a wise purchase! :D

Grant
Grant

pgreilich

#19: Post by pgreilich »

HB wrote:If you plan to use "cheap fresh coffee" after the learning stage, I agree. But if you plan to switch to "the good stuff" once you've figured things out, I think it's penny wise and dollar foolish. Realistically a newbie will need no more than a few pounds of coffee to play with and they may as well train their taste buds on their preferred coffee. The cost of that is chump change compared to the investment in the equipment. If you want to economize, order several pounds of a good reliable coffee at once to save on shipping (there are lots of recommendations in the Coffees forum) and pull one pound bags out of the freezer as needed.

Wow, you appear to be a fast learner.....only a few pounds and whala! Just remember, variety is the spice of life and each coffee has a difference flavor profile and can be pleasing to different people for different reasons. Oh and the frig or Frez is generally a bad idea, air free containers are better and that is well documented in other posts.

malachi

#20: Post by malachi »

Taste coffee other people make - have other people taste your coffee.
Not to compare - but instead to learn.
No matter how "good" you are, none of us have the first clue of what we're doing.
The minute you think you've figured it out and stop trying to learn you might as well stop caring.
What's in the cup is what matters.