My attempt - Silvia and Rocky, the video - HELP NEEDED! - Page 5

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
OlywaDave

#41: Post by OlywaDave »

Ha ha. Cannonfodder, poor Jon is getting conflicting info from different sources on different forums even.

As I am a firm believer in "do what works for you" espresso making. Jon, try both methods out for sure. Most folks spend a fortune on wasted coffee, milk, time, etc, figuring it out.
David White
EspressoParts.com

HB
Admin

#42: Post by HB »

OlywaDave wrote:Ha ha. Cannonfodder, poor Jon is getting conflicting info from different sources on different forums even.
Yes, I noticed that Jon has a lot of people and forums offering advice (link). Cross-posting is generally discouraged, but I have to admit chuckling when I read Mark's reply (paraphrased):
Mark Prince wrote:...hit the middle switch and open the steam knob... enough so that you see the middle light come on... start your grind, pack and prep... If you use a lighter roast, stop the flush as soon as this "flashing" stops. If you're using a darker roast, let it go for 2-6 seconds after the "gurgle" stops, then insert and brew. Midway through your shot, turn the steam switch on... As soon as it starts to "peter out", close the knob. Wait 20 seconds... let it go till the steam is dry, but weak. Close the knob. Wait 30 seconds - try again.
What I found humorous wasn't Mark's advice - which is spot on - but the thought that many potential buyers are concerned about the complexity of managing the brew temperature of an HX espresso machine. Yet the "simplicity" of a single boiler like Silvia as described above invokes imagery of an arcane mating ritual more than espresso preparation. :roll: :lol:
Dan Kehn

cannonfodder
Team HB

#43: Post by cannonfodder »

OlywaDave wrote:Ha ha. Cannonfodder, poor Jon is getting conflicting info from different sources on different forums even.
LOL, I have not visited CG in some time. It looks like Mark is addressing temperature issues and I am referring to mechanics of the process. I am with you, don't over complicate the process. It took me three years to settle into 'my' style.

Opinions and suggestions are one thing that is not in short supply. Take them with a grain of salt and don't forget, it is just coffee so enjoy the journey.
Dave Stephens

RapidCoffee
Team HB

#44: Post by RapidCoffee »

HB wrote:What I found humorous wasn't Mark's advice - which is spot on - but the thought that many potential buyers are concerned about the complexity of managing the brew temperature of an HX espresso machine. Yet the "simplicity" of a single boiler like Silvia as described above invokes imagery of an arcane mating ritual more than espresso preparation. :roll: :lol:
Yeah, I had the same reaction. My eyes glazed over about halfway through. Sheesh! By comparison, the HX flush is a piece of cake.
________
John

tmaynard

#45: Post by tmaynard »

jonbauer wrote:Dan, I haven't started experimenting with WDT yet. Gotta get a needle and a yogurt container and start using it...
To save a trip to my local science supplies store I brought home a skewer from my local Mediterranean restaurant (http://pitahouse.com -- I have no connection other than as a satisfied customer). It's a very slender wooden dowel (about 1.5-2.0mm diameter), pointed on one end. It seems to do the trick for me! I'm sure you can buy similar "kebob skewers" in your local grocery. And, they're disposable! Alternatively, if you're willing to accept the larger diameter, you could use a more traditional metal skewer as well -- or even one of those fancy, celluloid decorated, long toothpicks used to hold wraps together.

Be creative! Be geeky! Be WDT!!
t.

OlywaDave

#46: Post by OlywaDave »

What I personally can't get over is that folks pour their shot first and let it sit while they steam... I know I know I said "to each their own" and I meant it but here is my reasoning.

I'd sacrifice the quality of my milk any day over sacrificing the integrity of my espresso shot. For starters the espresso is what it is all about, secondly milk is cheaper than quality coffee.

In a shop environment this might be a little more acceptable considering there is not wait for steam pressure.

On my Silvia (when drinking a "milked" beverage) I steam first and take it a little hotter than I would like the milk, turn off the steam switch, expel enough water (and steam) from the group to drop the temp and trigger the element, prep my PF, and finally extract once the element light kicks off.
David White
EspressoParts.com

Compass Coffee

#47: Post by Compass Coffee »

RapidCoffee wrote:Yeah, I had the same reaction. My eyes glazed over about halfway through. Sheesh! By comparison, the HX flush is a piece of cake.
________
John
Amen! I surfed Silvia 2 years before adding PID. Now had HX Bricoletta 13 months. HX surf is a piece a cake compared to surfing Silvia. Both easier and can more consistently hit desired shot temp.
Mike McGinness

Compass Coffee

#48: Post by Compass Coffee »

OlywaDave wrote:What I personally can't get over is that folks pour their shot first and let it sit while they steam... I know I know I said "to each their own" and I meant it but here is my reasoning.

I'd sacrifice the quality of my milk any day over sacrificing the integrity of my espresso shot. For starters the espresso is what it is all about, secondly milk is cheaper than quality coffee.

In a shop environment this might be a little more acceptable considering there is not wait for steam pressure.

On my Silvia (when drinking a "milked" beverage) I steam first and take it a little hotter than I would like the milk, turn off the steam switch, expel enough water (and steam) from the group to drop the temp and trigger the element, prep my PF, and finally extract once the element light kicks off.
Fortunately the majority of my 3&1/2 years with Missy I wasn't into cappuccinos or macchiatos. But that last year exploring other traditional espresso beverages now and then never had a satisfactory solution. I chose the pull first and let the shot sit on top of Silvia staying somewhat warm and dying while waiting the couple minutes it took to come up to steam temp and steam. I found it much harder/time consuming to come back down from steaming temp to any semblance of shot temp accuracy, even with PID.

Solved the dilemma of shot first or steam first 13 months ago, Bricoletta. :wink:
Mike McGinness

OlywaDave

#49: Post by OlywaDave »

Compass Coffee wrote:I found it much harder/time consuming to come back down from steaming temp to any semblance of shot temp accuracy, even with PID.
After some trial and error I had no problem bringing the boiler temp on Silvia back down. Without the PID I flushed until the element light turned on or was about to go on after some experience with that technique.

Now with a PID I just flush until the temp drops to about 10-15 degrees above where I want it to be and it coasts into the operating/extraction temp.

Again I don't ever cry over lost milk but I do cry over lost espresso...
David White
EspressoParts.com