How important is running the grinder while adjusting? - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
JamesPN007

#21: Post by JamesPN007 »

Mitch - no sense in comparing what you are making at home to the swill we have here in the Boca/Delray area. Yours will be better every time. Guaranteed.

Are the Robur's burrs even broken in yet? I've read they now come with "seasoned" burrs, but not sure about 1.5 yrs ago.

Maybe you just need some more practice with the Strada. I don't have an expert palate like many here do, and maybe my humble equipment is the culprit, but I'd be happy to help you do some taste test comparisons between the Robur and the K-10. :D

mitch236 (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#22: Post by mitch236 (original poster) »

JamesPN007 wrote:Are the Robur's burrs even broken in yet? I've read they now come with "seasoned" burrs, but not sure about 1.5 yrs ago.
I think they should be broken in after 1.5 years!!!
JamesPN007 wrote:I'd be happy to help you do some taste test comparisons between the Robur and the K-10.
As soon as I get everything up and running I'll be happy to have you over for some taste testing!!
JamesPN007 wrote:Maybe you just need some more practice with the Strada.
That's an understatement!!! For now though, I am just running the Strada as a standard machine without much profiling.

Advertisement
Bluecold

#23: Post by Bluecold »

I've regularly adjusted from drip to espresso without a running motor. No ill effects whatsoever.
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

Peppersass

#24: Post by Peppersass »

mitch236 wrote:I also ordered new burrs for the Robur.
Good move. That occurred to me when I read Dan't post. Should help with resale.

Besides, if the burrs fix the problem, you'll be in a great position to compare the two grinders for us!

Peppersass

#25: Post by Peppersass »

cannonfodder wrote:You are not going to hurt the burrs of any grinder by adjusting the grind with it not running. You may jam the grinder, but you are not going to physically damage the burr set.
I vaguely recall read something to the effect that adjusting the grind on a Mazzer-type grinder without running the grinder could lead to grinds or bean fragments getting into the burr carrier threads and jamming/damaging them. Is that possible, or did I misunderstand the post?

cafeIKE

#26: Post by cafeIKE »

Don't think that makes any sense.

Coffee is thrown all around the grind chamber. The finest dust is probably the most likely to adhere. Over time, a layer builds up.

Consider a grinder used for drip. The exposed threads are covered in coffee detritus. Now adjust to espresso. Running or not, empty or not, the carrier has to sweep away the detritus. Can't see any mechanism by which the motor running would assist in clearing.

JamesPN007

#27: Post by JamesPN007 »

mitch236 wrote:I think they should be broken in after 1.5 years!!!
I've read on the forums that it can take running through 40-60 pounds of beans before the Robur burrs are broken in, although that is a somewhat debated topic. You mentioned making 5 or 6 doubles a day, which at that rate I would think it would take a year or more to go through that much coffee. And that's just to the point of the burrs starting to get broken in (perhaps like just after the first 500 miles of a new high performance car?). I would think for a machine of that caliber it must be roughly the equivalent of letting the thing sit and collect dust.

I run 3-4 doubles a day through the Mini, which I've had for about 1.5 years as well, and I don't think I've run more than 40 or so pounds of beans through it yet. At that rate, I go through a pound every 1.5 to 2 weeks. The Mini's burrs would certainly be more than broken in by that point, but perhaps not the Robur.

I agree though, can't hurt to try new burrs. After the 50 pound break in you will be ready to do some real taste testing!! :twisted: