What espresso blend to start with? - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
another_jim
Team HB

#11: Post by another_jim »

If Rocket Coffee is close by, use their Darkstar Blend -- it is the best blend for getting hooked on straight espresso I've ever tried. I'll be reviewing it in the coffee section shortly.
Jim Schulman

Psyd

#12: Post by Psyd »

gordonm wrote: I live in the Phoenix area, and I've already placed an order for the espresso sampler from Rocket Coffee. But, that's only 1/3 lb for each blend, and I suspect that's not enough to get dialed in before I have to change blends.
I get coffee from all over, and was getting stuff mailed to me each week. (I'm too lazy to roast...) A great coffee shop near me was getting Vivace's Vita and Dolce, so great beans were in the neighborhood. They ended up switching to Rocket's Classic, and now that's my standard. I still get coffee's from all over when I'm in town and not planning on being on the road anytime soon, but if I need coffee, it's down to the neighborhood shop and get me some fresh Classic. I'd suggest learning on a good, fresh bean (of course, three to five days pos roast) and getting a pound. Stay with one bean to start to reduce the variables (and a third of a pound means you run out just as you start to get good at it) and work on technique. Larry's around here, ask if you have questions, and there are a few AZ'ians that'll be glad to show you stuff. Phoenix is a pretty large city, but there si a good chance that good coffee (and a friendly barista that'll be happy to give you tips and hints when it's slow and you're buying) somewhere near you. Where in PHX is that, BTW?
Anyhoo, if you make your way to Tucson, let me know and I'll steer you to a few places. Meanwhile, check out http://www.arizona-coffee.com/ to see what's hapening in your neighborhood.
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

gordonm (original poster)

#13: Post by gordonm (original poster) »

Psyd wrote:I'd suggest learning on a good, fresh bean (of course, three to five days pos roast) and getting a pound. Stay with one bean to start to reduce the variables (and a third of a pound means you run out just as you start to get good at it) and work on technique.
Yep, that's what I've been doing. Luckily, I've gotten in with a couple of other people here, and now we're doing a round-robin type thing, checking out different online roasters. And, this way, we can get a fair amount of coffee for reasonable shipping costs, w/o it going stale, and get to try out a different roaster almost every week.

Psyd wrote:Larry's around here, ask if you have questions, and there are a few AZ'ians that'll be glad to show you stuff. Phoenix is a pretty large city, but there si a good chance that good coffee (and a friendly barista that'll be happy to give you tips and hints when it's slow and you're buying) somewhere near you. Where in PHX is that, BTW?
Anyhoo, if you make your way to Tucson, let me know and I'll steer you to a few places. Meanwhile, check out http://www.arizona-coffee.com/ to see what's hapening in your neighborhood.
thanks for the link. Larry at Rocket was a big help to me when I first got my machine. We didn't quite figure it out that day, but he definitely pointed me in the right direction. FYI, Rocket is in the W. Phoenix area, on Peoria Ave, IIRC.

Psyd

#14: Post by Psyd »

gordonm wrote:thanks for the link. Larry at Rocket was a big help to me when I first got my machine. We didn't quite figure it out that day, but he definitely pointed me in the right direction. FYI, Rocket is in the W. Phoenix area, on Peoria Ave, IIRC.
Yahbut, we still don't know what part of PHX you're from. Hard to give directions to something close to you in those conditions! ; >
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175