Is good espresso possible on a student's budget? - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Compass Coffee

#11: Post by Compass Coffee »

Kyle, looks like your cheapest option for getting into quality espresso is to move in with Sam by looking at his profile!
Mike McGinness

samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by samuellaw178 »

Mike, you got me laughing so hard just now :P Good one.

vincanis wrote: Edit: Is there any difference between the Hario mini and the Skerton besides the obvious size difference?
From reading, it seems Hario mini is slightly easier to adjust, has plastic container and hold less coffee. Performs slightly better at coarse range. Best for those doing small coffee batch at a time. While Skerton can hold more coffee and have a glass container(could be good or bad depending on situation).

http://prima-coffee.com/blog/hario-skerton-vs-mini-mill

vincanis (original poster)

#13: Post by vincanis (original poster) »

I just ran across that article. I think I'm going to go for the Aero and Hairo combo from Amazon. Free two day shipping won't hurt either.

entropyembrace

#14: Post by entropyembrace »

I'm a student...the solution I came up with was a 1977 La Pavoni Europiccola from ebay and a Hario mini....even with the ridiculous UPS shipping+custom brokerage fees on an item that had no customs duties attached I got my espresso setup for under $350 including all the accessories I've bought so far.

If you can get a better deal on shipping than I did (by avoiding brokerage fees) you could probably get a similar setup below $300

I think that a used La Pavoni was a good choice...it was only slightly more expensive than a Mypressi would have been...but it can heat water and steam milk itself :)

vincanis (original poster)

#15: Post by vincanis (original poster) »

With all of the good things I have been reading about the mini it seems like the way for me to go. As for the Aero I assume it will do what I need it to at this point: make a small amount of concentrated coffee to mix.

I just ordered them from Amazon.

I'll have to keep my eye on ebay for some espresso machines when I get the cash. Thanks for the replies everyone.

Compass Coffee

#16: Post by Compass Coffee »

vincanis wrote:I'll have to keep my eye on ebay for some espresso machines when I get the cash. Thanks for the replies everyone.
When you start your serious trolling for deals add Craigslist, I've gotten a number of excellent pennies on the dollar deals on coffee and espresso equipment. You DO have to know your equipment since there is no recourse once deal done.

BTW IMO good choice on the Aero instead of electric steam toy or stove top. Aero can make excellent concentrated coffee, steam toys tend to make bitter scalded brew. Stove tops can with practice make a decent concentrate, Aero easier to get consistently good brew.
Mike McGinness

peacecup

#17: Post by peacecup »

I've written this too many times to elaborate, but great espresso is very possible with cheap second-hand equipment such as good hand grinders and Saeco or Gaggia machines. $2-300 should do it.

PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

allon

#18: Post by allon »

I'd also recommend picking up a cheap electric kettle. And if you're going that route, add a filter cone for pour overs (I like the Clever Coffee Dripper, but others are fine too).

E SC, huh? Yeah, you'll do fine with coffee ;-)
LMWDP #331

drgary
Team HB

#19: Post by drgary »

Kyle,

Good choice with the AeroPress. If you've got a food thermometer you can play with how flavors change with small variations. I found my Pavoni on Craigslist for very little. Keep your eyes peeled. They make really good coffee and a manual lever is also a great way to learn and experiment.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

peacecup

#20: Post by peacecup »

I always disagree with the outcome of these threads. If I had bought an aeropress instead of a $200 Saeco ten years ago, I may never had become an espresso lover. What's most interesting is that all of the "gurus" on HB, who have instigated and perpetuated the "buy an aeropress if you can't afford to spend $2000+ on an espresso machine and a 64-mm conical burr grinder" mantra, all started with cheap Saecos or Gaggias because that's all there was. They all graduated to Silvias (heaven forbid) as well.

Not to say that the aeropress won't make great coffee - it should be useful for years to come. But it ain't espresso, and espresso does not need to cost 2k. My 2 cents.

PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."